I am such an idiot

Old 06-09-2003, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
spongebob

I am such an idiot

I could see perfectly clearly what my A Husband was doing this weekend when he stated that he must not have a drinking problem because he was at a party where people were drinking and he wasn't tempted. He was setting the stage for the"oh I think I'll just have one beer thing" and then, I know, it will start all over again. He insists it is his other problems that cause him to drink. I think, oh here we go again.
In any case, he kept telling me how bad his foot hurt all weekend. I suggested he go to the doctor, but of course he didn't. He would walk around me with a terrible limp, but he seemed to be able to manage everything else, like the limp was just there for me. Now it dawns on me he was trying to get me to offer him one of my pain pills. He knows I count them everyday now, so he can't just take them like before. He is a lot sicker then I realized! I'm pretty sure he's not drinking and he's going back to the therapist tonight, but I wonder if it will really help since he doesn't see what his real problem is. My sister says any therapst that's any good will get him to realize that the drinking is the problem I sure hope so!

Old 06-09-2003, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey spongebob.....just want you to know that I'm right there with ya! Yep.....I've been there for the whole song and dance.

I agree with your sis...a GOOD therapist will lead him to see the light. Beware....one therapist that AH and I went to in our early married years told AH to "just cut down a little...." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What a hoot!

Take care,

Sarah
Old 06-09-2003, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

sgongebob,

I'm sorry to hear all of that. You are right in noticing that he is sicker than you thought. You are doing the right thing by counting your pills your being a hawk. Then you are doing everything in your power to help the situation. Hopefully he will thank you for it and come to realize that you can't give one problem up only to gain a new addiction. Hang in there, We are all rooting for you

maryl
Old 06-10-2003, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smart lady!!!!

My husband does that stupid crap and he has his own medication. He used to sneak my Klonopin until I started to count my pills. They think they are soooooo smooth sometimes. Heck I heard the violins playing when my husband got sober last year and he went around these so called friends who told him that one beer wouldn't hurt. Well, it did and we are back at square one. You are a smart lady and keep up the good work!

I am really impressed!

Hugs,
2many2count
Old 06-10-2003, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I am not alone!!

I guess that I should give some of the history to make this reply make sense...
My AH was in the Navy for 18 yrs 2 months and was discharged because he hurt his back... Now when I say hurt I mean a tear in one of his disks and a bulge in another... We talked to a surgeon who said that it wasnt bad enough for all the pain AH seems to have and it wasnt bad enough for surgery...
Now he has tried all types of pain medications... morphine longacting, Ocycontin, methadone, percocet...ect... All of these meds took away the pain but AH said that they did things to him that he didnt like....bad side effects... We now thankfully are on non-narcotic pain relief or OTC stuff... BUT the beer that he drinks is another story... I dont believe in self-medicating... But this man self-medicates like you would not believe... This thing with his back has been bad for about 2 years and the amount of beer that he drinks to "make is better" has grown with each day... I think that is just one of the excuses that he uses to validate himself and have yet another drink. I have seen him get so stumbling drunk that he hurts himself worse (of course he doesnt see it) All in all I can see that somedays it appear that his back is hurting him and other days it REALLY REALLY looks like he is just trying to play it off so that he can have another drink... Or 12!!!!
Sorry for rambling on but that is one of those things that I have a hard time with... I would keep counting the pills and think of getting a locking box to put them in.... Trading one addiction for another is never a good thing!!!
living day to day, praying every moment, and trying not to keep counting,
BIG HUGS,
Kathie