Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Beer - when he wanted to "cheat a little"
Hard Liquor was his true goal
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CBrown View Post
You all have commented, too, about the smell of alcohol coming from their bodies. He wasn't great about showering, but this was not regular body odor. It was a stench that I have never before or since smelled. What IS that smell? It doesn't smell like beer or alcohol, it's completely different.
ugh.............my/our son commented on that smell the other evening after we had dinner with exAH. He said his dad smelled "like old earwax".....ewww. (and that was a good description)

His DOC while at home was BudLight about a 12-pack every night (BlackJack sometimes,when he was living it up when out.) Actually I think his "control MO" for drinking at home was to put 12 in the refrigerator and drink 10 of them,and go to bed. He would then have the 2 cold ones ready to pop,the minute he walked in the next night with the next 12 pack. (A few went in the freezer if he had to buy warm beer.)

He has "upgraded" now to fit in with his latest (country club) drinking buddies.....he is now a "wine expert" so he "has to sample and appreciate" wines. Whatever.

Most of his family thinks beer,wine,or high-end liquor indicates it is not a problem; it is a sign of maturity and sophistication. I guess I bought that for a time,too. Many,many people do,also.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Yes. It changed ME. And not in a good way.
It is changing me, but for the better.

My abf's first and only love is beer. I have rarely seen him drink anything else, but if you placed anything infront of him or have a bottle of something in the house, it would go. I used to mark my bottle of Southern comfort. On my own it would last for months. With him drinking, a day or so.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My AH decided he was going to make his own beer one year;another "connosieur" phase he went through as part of his denial(probably also an attempt to save him the problems/awareness involved with buying it every night after work)....did not last long,and was that rank stuff! yuck! It looked (and smelled!) like a bucket of weeds from my garden got filled with rain and was left in the back of the yard for a few weeks in the dead of summer...and decayed.

He decided he didn't really like it all that much....also I think he went thru it at a pace that surprised him. I doubt if it would have lasted even a week.

I had forgotten all about this....
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Pick-a-name View Post
He decided he didn't really like it all that much....also I think he went thru it at a pace that surprised him. I doubt if it would have lasted even a week.
If I remember right it took at least a month for my homebrew to ferment, so while I waited I went through at least a dozen cases of the store bought stuff. Make sense? NOT!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

This brings up an interesting subject...

80% of drivers arrested for DWI reported that beer was their alcoholic beverage of choice. (source: Runge, J.D. (2003). Impaired Driving in the U.S.: Progress and Research Needs. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.)

Someone in the U.S. dies every 30 minutes in an alcohol-related traffic crash.
(Source: National Center for Statistics and Analysis. (2002). Motor Vehicle Traffic Crashes/Fatality and Injury Estimates. Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), National Automotive Sampling System (NASS), General Estimated System (GES), National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).)

Anheuser-Busch has a market share in the United States of about 50% for all beers sold. (source: Wikepedia)
Old 12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

ugh.............my/our son commented on that smell the other evening after we had dinner with exAH. He said his dad smelled "like old earwax".....ewww. (and that was a good description)
oh yeah. The smell. Opening my A son's door in the morning when he lived at home.....it was sickening. My son's girlfriend was with him at his worst and she said that the sheets would be soaked with sweat that would just reek.

What is really weird is that my son is a neat-a-holic. I mean TIDY! And he's very nice looking and always liked to smell nice. What happened?

The mom-the-sniffer thing is strange too. I have sniffed my children since they were babies. I swear I could find them in a room blindfolded just by the way they smell. I loved that baby smell and the way they would smell when they came in from outside as children.

They HATED me for that when they were teenagers. sniff sniff sniff I could tell where they had been and what they had done. (I know what you're thinking and yes....You called it....definitely a codie issue.)

And even now......they are young adults and I still do it. (Ok....I sniff my husband and my dogs too.....I'm a either a total nut or part canine--and no I don't sniff the dogs butts--just their fur and ears to make sure they don't smell like dogs. Only a dog person will understand this. I sniff my husband because I love the way he smells. I guess it's a feramone thing. )

Go figure. Sorry....went off on a tangent.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

If Alcohol Were Invented Today, It Would Be Illegle Tomorrow
:puppet
Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My mom used to sniff us too
when we got sweaty and dirty,
Sheed say, Oh honestly you smell like a dog.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
oh yeah. The smell. Opening my A son's door in the morning when he lived at home.....it was sickening. My son's girlfriend was with him at his worst and she said that the sheets would be soaked with sweat that would just reek.

What is really weird is that my son is a neat-a-holic. I mean TIDY! And he's very nice looking and always liked to smell nice. What happened?
ugh........my AH was like that,too. For awhile I slept with a pillow between us to deflect the smell (esp. breath) and the terrible snoring...I wore earplugs,too. I finally had to find another place to sleep.

He was and is still a neat-freak,too. In fact, the rest of us are far from it (an issue with him),so I know the smell is something he can not avoid (without quitting alcohol consumption). His sheets and the t-shirt he wore to bed (that absorbed the sweat) was covered in an oily,sticky,smelly yellow film. And it "was only beer"..... This smell thing must be mortifying for him;but he probably blames it on something or someone else,if he does notice it.

p.s. We called my mom "the nose".....she had the most acute sense of smell. My 25y son is getting to be just like her! ha My sense of smell is pretty good,too............TOO good around THAT smell! It is definately not a subtle aroma!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Caring for the 3 little bears

started out beer, then whisky, then whisky with beer chaser, then tequila, then back to beer, then beer with whisky chaser, then rum and more beer, then beer and more rum. Whisky again, it was the favorite over the years... but then came the vodka, because he heard other people can't smell it as much. Then came the accident, and the oxycontin, hydrocodone, percosets and anything else he could get his hands on with more whiskey, then came the methadone clinic and more whisky with beer chasers. Then came more drug/alcohol rehabs, more hospitals, more physical rehabs from accident and eventually jail. Then after almost 30 years of drinking and drugging, came water and vitamins. That's is all he has put in his body for 2 1/2 years. Alleluia!
Old 12-15-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

ugh........my AH was like that,too. For awhile I slept with a pillow between us to deflect the smell (esp. breath) and the terrible snoring...I wore earplugs,too. I finally had to find another place to sleep... His sheets and the t-shirt he wore to bed (that absorbed the sweat) was covered in an oily,sticky,smelly yellow film. And it "was only beer".....
yes, mine too! These guys have something in common. My family used to comment on the couch and how it stank. Our living room/TV room used to stink. He spent most of his time on the couch. I didn't let him come to bed, because he stank and made too much noise snoring.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

When I started drinking my choice of drink was cognac or brandy, when I grew tired of that I moved to vodka. Vodka was my poison for the majority of drinking. During my last few months of drinking I started to drink a lot of beer because the hangovers from the vodka were getting too hard to handle anymore. I find it hilarious some drinkers out there think vodka doesn't have odor, I and everyone around me knew I was drinking vodka...... because I stank from it.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Well, I never thought I'd see the day I'd remember some of this stuff about my XAH and chuckle! I forgot about the snoring ... so loud sometimes you could hear it two floors down. Gosh, then the smell! He always had a funky "aura". The breath was so putrid, for years I slept with my head to the left so I could breath! Occasionally I'd face the wrong way and the aroma would wake me!
Then of course there were the mornings in the bathroom. Perpetual diarrea.
His fingers always stunk of pot.
Wow. Hard to believe that used to be my world.