Stealthy way to check on brother?

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stealthy way to check on brother?

Hi. My brother is an alcoholic. After his latest trip to the hospital where they said he had the "highest blood alcohol" they'd ever seen (sigh) he refused treatment so we stopped talking.

Without going into tons of details - this is the second time this has happened. Last time he crashed my car and could have killed someone. Half my family are alcoholics and some have died from it.

Any way, I think it has rotted his brain (seriously --wondering if he has Wernicke-Korsakoff or some other kind of brain damage).

I don't want to see him but am wondering if there is some other way to find out if he is ok. We both live in the same town but, other than my husband and adult kids, don't know anyone else here.

Suggestions?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Engawa. I don't really know of one.

Sometimes, you just have to let them go do what they're gonna do, and focus on your own life instead. I know firsthand how hard that is....

Best wishes to you
GL
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's not ok, if what you posted is accurate. And yes there may be some brain damage, unfortunately.

And like GL said, put the effort into your life. That and boundaries are the only ways to limit how much it affects you.

"Spying" on him isn't going to help, and when you see whats going on, you'll likely continue to get drawn in.