Another new one...

Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nic

Another new one...

Hi all! I'm new to the site. I have had alcohilics in my life since birth. Mom, Dad, Brother, Step-Father and many extended family members and friends. My mother and step-father (Pops) are both in recovery (YAY them!!) and my brother is also trying very hard to quit. My father I'm not so close to these days so I don't know.

My fiancee is a recovering substance abuser (clean for 4 years - 1 relapse) and I myself have dabbled into it all. I choose to not drink (I do have one every now and then but I don't get drunk) and I will not go near drugs anymore. I like being happy with my clear head!

I guess the reason I'm here is I do still hurt. My mom relapsed for a year and I never knew about it. Boy did I feel stupid. But, it was just the same old me. I didn't even know about my parent's alcoholism for the first 15 years of my life. When you grow up with and elephant in your living room, it's normal to you...until it's disturbed and it crushes you. I never knew anything was wrong until my mom was in detox and my dad was leaving. It's just a cycle of mine to think everything is normal and perfect and then be completely shocked when you find out it's not.

So, Mom is doing very good right now (I'm so insanely proud of her) and my Pops is in recovery as well. He's got some tuff times and bumpy roads, but he's got a great support system. He's here on SR as is my mom and they are doing thier best.

As I said, I'm still hurting. I don't like to look into the past because it hurts so much, but it does still haunt me. And I can also feel the pain my loved ones are going thru. I don't know what more I can talk about, but I'd like to find some people to talk to. And I love to share my story in the hopes that it'll hlep others. This is a small summary of my testimony and I hope it helps someone. I'm always here to talk with anyone who needs help. And any advice from anyone is always welcomed! I thank you for listening to my story. I'm sorry I ramble...my thoughts do get away from me sometimes.

God bless
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hi Nic,

Welcome here. You sound so positive in your post, and I think it is great that despite all that you have been through and seen you are doing so well.

Have you posted in Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents? Sounds like that would be a good forum for you as well as this one. I know some of the folks here have had a similar background to you. I cannot comment myself as the disease skipped a generation in my family.

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome and hope to see you posting often. Good luck with the healing, there are so many people here who have made it, so we all can.

Love n hugs
Lily xxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Nic - welcome - as you know I am new too - thank you for your kind words on my situation.

I too come from a A background, father, brother and sister. I choose not to drink. I do drink on occassion but never to the drunk point.

Glad you are here and we can help each other ..

shakarris
Old 11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nic

Thank you. It really is nice to know people like you are out in this world. It's crazy to think that sometimes I do still feel alone. I'm so grateful to my mother for suggesting I come here. And I'm so grateful to all who care. Thank you. Thank you!

And Lily, I think I will post on the Adult Children... forums also. Who knows, maybe I can help someone. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((niclove))

welcome to our SR family!!

So glad you are taking care of you & sharing your story with us. I too have had alcoholism and addiction around me all of my life - I started my journal of recovery from the affects of this over 4 yrs ago and it has been a painful but healing process.

Hope you will continue to post and let us know how you are doing,
Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita