Courage to Change~ Nov 10

Old 11-10-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change~ Nov 10

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 11/10

Al Anon reminds me that I can only deal with “One day at a time.” This allows me to be more realistic about what I can do to improve my situation. It gets rid of the constant urgency.

Today I can see that no problem lasts forever. I used to feel that if I didn’t’ solve a problem immediately, it would remain for all time. Now I know that everything passes eventually, the happy as well as the sad.

Today I can ask myself, “What can I do about this right here, right now?” This question helps me to identify my responsibility more realistically and shows me what part of the situation is beyond my power to control. Reasoning things out with an Al Anon friend or attending a meeting often helps me to separate today’s problems from those belonging to the past or future. Then I do what I can and turn over the rest.

Today’s Reminder:

I can cope more effectively with difficult situations when I am realistic about my responsibilities. I have the tools I need to face today’s challenges. I will trust my Higher Power with tomorrow.

“Today is only a small manageable segment of time in which our difficulties need not overwhelm us. This lifts from our hearts and minds the heavy weight of both past and future.” – One Day at a Time in Al-Anon.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My good friend Ann has told me (more than once) that the difference between a good day and a bad day is about 2 days.

She's a smart woman.

~Cats
Old 11-10-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks cat....this is one of my most worn out page in the odat.
living within the effects of alcoholism in my home with my xh, had taught me the urgency to immediately try to diminish his action, and do damage control, because of all the crisis that was created.....by him and me.

HA!

actually thought i could do it, and i had the power and control to do it.

i used to feel that if i didn't immediately "fix it", somewhere out there in the universe, was a list of undone chores.

thanks again
i love this passage.

Last edited by embraced2000; 11-10-2007 at 06:22 AM.