Courage to Change ~ Nov 8 Manipulation

Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ Nov 8 Manipulation

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 11/9

We humans are wonderfully adaptable. We find creative solutions to impossible situations. One coping skill that some of us develop is manipulating other people in order to get what we want. Alcoholism can create such a threatening environment that manipulation seems necessary. Today, with the help of Al Anon, we are learning to do more than merely survive, and such manipulation becomes unnecessary and unacceptable. In Al Anon, we learn healthier ways to meet our own needs and to behave towards others.

Manipulation had been a normal part of my life for so long that I forgot how to have a discussion or make a straightforward request. If I wanted someone to do the dishes, I tried to make them feel guilty by telling them how much I had done for them, or I complained that they never did their part. It never occurred to me that I could simply and politely ask for what I wanted, or that I could accept my request being turned down! But I’m learning. A day at a time I’m learning.

Today’s Reminder:

Today I am creating a better way of living, free of guilt and deception.

“We choose to behave with personal integrity, not because it will make someone else feel better, but because it reflects a way of living that enriches and heals us.”….. In All Our Affairs.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It never occurred to me that I could simply and politely ask for what I wanted, or that I could accept my request being turned down!
I became a master manipulator. (I had a good teacher - my mother still plays the guilt card today.) Learning how to ask directly for what I wanted was like learning to speak a foreign language.... and the Advanced Class was the one where they taught to ask and then LET GO of the outcome ! I could ask and the other person could say NO.

It sounds so simple, and it is... but it's incredibly hard at the same time. I catch myself now. Instead of saying "Gosh, I have to have this surgery tomorrow and I just don't know if I'll be able to drive myself home... the doctor says I shouldn't drive on the medication... maybe I can call a cab...or just crawl home on a side street...."

I can call a friend and ask, "Could you pick me up at 1 pm at the doctor's office?"

A day at a time, I'm learning.