Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Any of you ever try withholding affection and sex from your alcoholic partner?

Any of you ever try withholding affection and sex from your alcoholic partner?

Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
Thanks. I guess we're gonna have a crappy marriage then as long as she drinks. Maybe she'll get tired of it and leave me.. She says she never would, but women can only go so long without your affection.
She could find it elsewhere and then in with her alcoholic thinking blame you. Are you prepared for that.
It happened to me.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
Thanks.. That's probably what she'll do...
Sorry, I just wanted to point out that possibility. Alcoholics do a lot of things when drinking they would never do sober.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by harleygirl92156 View Post
Sorry someone in Alanon told you that. It is something that should have never been said to you and I suspect it was said by someone who has not yet worked through their resentment and anger of living with an alcoholic.
No one has the right to say that to you.
Again, sorry you got that at Alanon, that isn't what Alanon is about. Do you attend more than one Alanon group?
Remember TAKE WHAT YOU WANT AND LEAVE THE REST.
Thank you.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I told you that by controlling her drinking, helping her stay in her job, bailing her out financially, generally fixing the messes she creates, that you were actually keeping her from getting to a point where she says "enough's enough. drinking's not working for me anymore, i need to do something different", would you believe me?
Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know, and I'm through hurting us both. I've done some soul searchering, and I feel reborn. All this solitude withought the noise of the TV, telephone and drill team gave me time for introspection and I have pinpointed what triggered this behavior of mine. I remember the day it started very clearly and I can not express the freedom I feel. I'll talk to you later. I'm sorry I put you through hell. I can offer you the real me now. Happy Birthday. I love you, honey.

This was an e-mail today. Problem is I've heard this 100 times now and it never stops. I'm through believing words.