Jekyll or Hyde????

Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jekyll or Hyde????

Ok...help! My addict husband, who has been sober for 120 days, has been wonderful!!!

All of a sudden, in the past week, his personality has changed completely. In fact, he is displaying the personality of when he was in active addiction.

Immediately I asked him about my suspicions, "Are you drinking or drugging?" Of course he said "no" and offered to take a drug test. His rehab counselor called me yesterday and said that my husband came by and took a drug test...it was negative!

So what gives? Why the change in personality? I am confused. Is there a delay after being in recovery for a certain period of time?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Perhaps PAWS? (Post acute withdrawal syndrome,I think ) If you do a search for it on SR (here and the alcoholism forum) I think many threads will come up. It is also mentioned in the books: Under the Influence and Getting Them Sober, I think.

(I'm very tired and signing off now.......will ck for some links tomorrow if no one else has helped...sorry for the delay)
Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey there Jenn,

There's all kinds of reasons why his mood is affected. Alcohol is a poison, and it takes the body a long time to heal. PAWS is a general term that refers to a large number of possible complications

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

The most important thing to do _first_ is to go see a Doctor and get a complete checkup, especially looking at possible damage to the liver and pancreas. If either of these organs is not healing properly you can get severe mood swings and irritability.

Once the body is checked out and found to be healthy, then what you have is the common reaction that most alkies have when faced with dealing with life on life's terms, and _without_ a drug to make it all go away.

Mike
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being sober is not the same as being in recovery.

The 120 days wonderfulness was not recovery. It was just the first 120 days.

Now he's back to what he really is. Whether or not it's a physiological reaction or just that he couldn't keep up the wonderful act any longer.

Just stopping drinking and using doesn't change things. It's only the start. The hard work starts now. He's still what he was before.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

maby hes going through mid-life crisis, or is under a lot of stress. just give it time