SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Hello to all (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/135591-hello-all.html)

freenhappy1960 10-27-2007 02:56 PM

Hello to all

Hello everybody. I found this site quite by accident today. I was trying to do a little research on some information that I was given in regards to the WSO withdrawing registration for groups who use the Big Book at their meetings. As it turned out, the search produced a link to this forum, but the post on the subject was almost 4 years old!

So I thought that maybe, I was supposed to find this site. Having said all that, I have been in and out of Alanon for over 20years. I am also a recovering alcoholic, sober in AA for 13 years. Today, I chose to continue my path to recovery as an Adult Child of an alcoholic.

I'm glad I'm here.

Colleen

FindingMe 10-27-2007 08:11 PM

Sounds like you have way more experience than I do. I hope you stick around and let me know how you got there. I'm looking forward to learning and I hope that one of these days a light bulb goes off in my head, and I see things more clearly. Thanks!!!

Wascally Wabbit 10-27-2007 08:23 PM

I seem to fit in several of the boards!
My son is an addict
My mom is an alcoholic 30 yrs sober but still has the strange behavior.
This is a great place! Welcome!

FormerDoormat 10-27-2007 10:09 PM

Welcome FreeNHappy. I found this board by accident, too. I was searching on the term "end-stage alcoholism" and ended up on this forum. It's been a life-saver for me.

guineapigjude 10-28-2007 03:59 AM

Same here. I stumbled onto this board googling information on alcoholism and drug abuse. The information and support I've gotten here have literally changed my life. Welcome!

CBrown 10-28-2007 04:53 AM

Welcome! I won't say that I'm completely free of the bonds of my XABF by any means, but this board, its encouragement, and my friends' encouragement is helping me walk down the path a lot farther than I ever have before. I hope you can say the same.

reader 10-28-2007 07:17 AM

Welcome, same here I stumbled on this place too. Best find I'd say. You are in great company when u are ready u can spill your story, this is the greatest group of caring and wise folks.

BigSis 10-28-2007 07:41 AM

I don't know about the WSO withdrawing membership, but I remember when I first came to Alanon, the only recovery book I had was the Big Book I got when my kids went to rehab.

We didn't read from it, and a woman (who later became my sponsor) mentioned after the meeting that Alanon did not consider the Big Book to be "conference approved literature". That same woman, when she became my sponsor, told me that we would be working from the Big Book from time to time.... just not during the meetings.

The women from my home group have some study meeting outside the regular Alanon group. We have used the Big Book and some other books (Mary Pearl's relationship traditions is one) that we find very helpful.

I figure most things that "need" to happen... do happen. In the right time. So I don't worry overmuch if the WSO is conservative in some areas.

Welcome to SR!!!

rawr_x 11-13-2007 03:24 PM

glad you found us. hope you enjoy, this site is really useful