Some Advice on DUI Court

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DII

Some Advice on DUI Court

Hi All, haven't posted in a while. Been dealing "with it" for a few weeks. I need some advice though from the "team"!
My AW has her court date for her DUI and she tells me that she hired a lawyer and isn't going to the hearing! Does that sound normal, for an attorney to attend the first hearing without her? I want to go to the hearing to find out what is going on and protect my ASSets? Wrong or right move?

Thoughts?....Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

There are times the accused does not need to be there, not sure about this one though. Wish I could be more help! But hang in there. Probably not a bad idea to be there though. Glad you are here with us again. I am just about to start my "stuff" legally, so guess I will find out. Hang in there.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

DII...I followed XABF's DUI online for a while and noted that his attorney represented him at hearings and I believe it's either/or. This may be a long process for your W (and you!) because XABF got the DUI in March, hearing was early May and due to court congestion the trial (his choice!) has been postponed several times. Seems like it won't happen now until the end of the year. All that because he HAD to drink and drive. Of course, he maintains he hadn't been drinking. Right!

ARL

Just thought I should add that there is nothing stopping you from going to the hearing. Knowledge is power.

Last edited by ARealLady; 10-22-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-22-2007, 11:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just went through this and yes my attorney told me it would be a waste of time to show up and it really was. Things will definately have time to get underway. They will only make a first offer and it will probably change. Its just the court way.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AH has gone to court twice - once in Maryland for a DUI and the second time in Arizona for a BUI (boating under influence). Both times he was there with his attorney representing him. The first time in Maryland it seemed almost mandatory in order to make a good impression with the judge. AH got off with a $900 fine. The second time, in Arizona, AH said it was pretty much a waste for him to be there and he felt it was his attorney's way of justifying the $2,500 representation fee. He also ended up having to pay to go to Phoenix and take a weekend-long boating safety course.

Both situations ended up costing us around $6,000. Not a fortune, but certainly not something to sneeze at either!

Now it appears he'll be charged with a DUI in Arizona after last week's accident in which he ran his truck into a wall after taking NINETEEN Lorazepam tablets (anti-anxiety drug which he kept insisting would help him sleep!!!). Anyway, I hope this time he gets a weekend to cool his heels in the county jail!

P.S. - I didn't attend either of the court hearings. I wasn't with him when he was charged with the offenses. Frankly, I don't want to get involved in his messes any longer. If you feel your assets are in danger or if you want to be present in court, then by all means follow your own instincts and do what you feel is right for you!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

There are days I wish my husband would get one so he would be forced to stop drinking for a while and go to AA meetings.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

are you responsible in any way for paying the attorney, dii? if you ARE, then call him/her and find out.

if you're NOT, then stay as uninvolved as you can. and make sure your assets/accounts are not being compromised by seeking your own attorney.

just my two cents.

i never paid a penny for my daughter's dui charges. her problem.

hugs, k
Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel your pain lostnfound. If they got you sober i would be a happy man. $3000 stay clean for a lifetime that would be the deal of a lifetime. Although im sure thats not how you specifically meant it. It did keep me sober for 200 days though.