Read Quick!! If You're On! I Need Your Advice!!!!! Asap!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

Everytime I hear the term social drinking problem I laugh.
No I won’t jump down your throat for being in denial.
Lets call it something else, ok, you have your head in the sand, is that better?

I’m trying to make a point here.

The immortal lines of William Shakespeare,

“What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet; “

Still a rose, it’s still a rose.

So-called social drinkers do not have problems with the law.
Odds are that this is not the 1st time driving drunk, just this time caught.

I truly think that instead of driving people to their meeting, you might want to try driving yourself to an Alanon meeting.
You might find what you are looking for there.
IMHO
Old 10-14-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Heya IGirl

Originally Posted by ItalianGirl View Post
... No, no one pays for my gas, etc... Honestly it's about a 2 minute drive from my house to get him - it's not inconvient to pick his friend up ...
That's not the point. The point is that the guys with the DUI need to be _accountable_ for their behavior. That's how children grow up to be adults. They're adults, they're accountable. If they don't like that then they can tell the judge and the judge will arrange for them to no need rides for awhile.

A two minute drive from your house, a taxi would charge them for that 2 minutes. Me? I'd make 'em walk, even if it's uphill both ways

... fighting his being pulled over for driving while suspended ...
That's a perfect example of my point. He has been told in very clear terms that he is not showing sufficient maturity and respect for the lives of others to be trusted with a car. He either grows up and deals with it, or he will be dealt _with_.

... I dont' think he's an alcoholic - and PLEASE don't jump down my throat about my being in denial about it ...
That is the label you choose and I will respect your choice. Jumping throats is not allowed here. That issue has been explained here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ease-read.html

... He (my BF) was out with friends, and he was the least drunk and he drove, and got caught. ...
"least" doesn't count when you're the person that gets killed by the least drunk driver. Have you ever been to the funeral of a child who gets run over by a drunk? Have you ever held the mother of that child while she cries? I have. Many times. "least drunk" doesn't cut it.

I respect your label of "VERY social drinking problem" for his drinking. What label do you want to use for his being a drunk driver? I don't know that the laws are in your state, so I'm guessing from what you tell me that he's got a misdemeanor, maybe two. How many will he need before they slap him with a felony? One label you could give his legal status is "felon in training", seeing how he's working up to that fairly fast.

The point of all this is to help you see clearly what your options are. That way _you_ can make what's called an "informed decision" as to whether you want to stick it out with this guy or find someone without a sheet. Whatever choice you make, yours truly will respect it, and the official view of the program of al-anon is that al-anon will also respect your choice, because _you_ made it.

am I making sense?

Mike
Old 10-14-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

he was the least drunk and he drove, and got caught.

Awwww, come on, IG....that's an excuse if I ever heard one! What is the difference between sort-of drunk and very drunk when you are behind the wheel of a car? Drinking and driving (operating any kind of heavy machinery) are a lethal combination. Thank heavens your BF got caught....otherwise he'd still be out there!

ARL