Saw Four Divorce Attorneys - It is EXPENSIVE!!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A legal separation sounds like an affordable option for starters. I'd like to know more about that for my situation.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What I found in my situation is that legal separation or divorce both cost the same when it comes to attorneys. The only difference is the outcome. Of course, there is the psychological factor that maybe your spouse won't fight so hard (equalling less in fees) if it is a separation instead of divorce. I still don't believe it has to be an all or nothing decision. (meaning be represented by and attorney or do it all yourself) You can do some things yourself and hire an attorney to do the things that are over your head. It takes some research and legwork, but you can save a bundle.

L
Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You can also look at Divorce Mediation also. It can be a lot cheaper.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

An important factor in what you decide to do should include your financial responsibility to the marriage. When you live with someone who is tempting fate daily by drinking and driving, drinking and calling in sick, drinking and doing anything.....if you don't have a legal agreement of some formal nature, you could be held liable for any trouble he gets into putting everything you have worked for at risk. Beyond that, he could get into a jam that could put you in debt beyond what you have to lose.
He could run over someone, he could kill someone, he could get a DWI, he could lose his job and his income, he could hurt himself in an accident and require care.
If he is going to drink and continue to out your present and future financial life at risk, I'd put as much legal distance between you and him as you can.
He knows your level of discomfort regarding divorce, he will not quit drinking, he doesn't have to, it's all working for him. You don't really want a divorce, it's expensive and he will just give you a hard time. In the meantime, he will drink until the consequences mount in one way or another.
If you have grounds to divorce him, you can request in your petition that he pay all legal fees involved in a legal seperation or divorce.
He has had the option to seek treatment.
If you have no contact with him but through your lawyer, it really doens't matter how he feels about it.
I see it this way, I will not relinquish control of my life by getting into a car with someone driving me around drunk because he might have a tantrum if I refuse. I would no sooner give over control of my life and its outcome who is drunk either. You do what you need to do for you but allow your head a vote in it.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Queenteree, contact your County or State Bar. They probably have a Pro Bono Program -- a list of lawyers in your area who have signed up to do free legal work. Our office handles a number of divorce cases referred by the Bar. And, if you qualify financially, the court filing fee can be waived by submitting an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship. Even if you don't qualify for the free filing, they can get you your divorce. Chin up, sweetie. There IS an open window.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Royalty

Divorce

Sorry to hear the end of the story. Money seems like the only road block at this point. Is there any way to stop paying all of your bills(mainly ones that have his name on them) so that you can save your paycheck for the lawyers?

Can't the lawyers that you work for, recommend someone (cheap) at a reduced rate?

Anyways, good to see you.....I know you have put up with so much, and I know how strong you are....you can do this.
HQ.