Courage to Change ~ October 8

Old 10-08-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ October 8

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 10/8

My life is a miracle! When I felt alone and far from hope, I was guided to Al Anon, where I learned that no situation is really hopeless. Others had been through the pain of coping with a loved one’s alcoholism. They too had known frustration, anger, disappointment, and anxiety, yet had learned to live serene and even happy lives. Through the program, the tools that lead to serenity and the gift of recovery are mine for the taking, along with the support I need. Just as I was guided to Al Anon, I am guided through recovery, and I continue to be transformed.

I see that miracles frequently touch my life. Maybe they always have, but I didn’t see them. Today I am aware of many gifts and wonders because I am actively practicing gratitude. So I thank my Higher Power for little things as well as big ones. I am grateful for the snooze button on my alarm clock that gives me a few extra minutes of sleep, as well as for the roof over my head, the clothes on my back, and the ability to give and receive love.

Today’s Reminder:

When I take time for gratitude, I perceive a better world. Today I will appreciate the miracles all around me.

“Even the darkest of moments can be faced with a grateful heart, if not for the crisis itself, at least for the growth it can evoke with the help of our Higher Power.” … In All Our Affairs
Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I remember how alone and afraid I was right before I found Al Anon. I was living a lie... we weren't the perfect happy couple and family that we portrayed outside the 4 walls of our home. I honestly believed that no one could ever understand what I was going through, and I thought I would have to endure that darkness forever.

Today I am so incredibly grateful for the gifts of the program. On my darkest and loneliest day, I was welcomed with loving and gentle arms into an amazing fellowship. No one judges or critcizes me, they simply share their experience, strength and hope. I can listen and learn, I can take what I like and leave the rest. I have found my voice, I have learned about boundaries. I have learned a new and better way to deal with the people, places and things in my life.

And that's just a teensie tiny start to my list of miracles in my life. I am eternally grateful for this program.

Hugs

Cats
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankl you I needed this today.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile Going through hard times....

Hi CatsPajamas,

This reading certainly reminds me of myself and how I found that I gained strength & hope after making it through another hard road to my recovery. I know I learned from it all and finally was able to be assertive when it came to myself and my kids. In later years all of my experiences and good and bad times gave me wisdom to be able to go back to college and get a good job to help support my kids.

I finally found myself and some self-worth that had been ripped away from me by my second husband's cruel remarks.

kelsh