update

Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

update

Update...
My sister came home after a little more than a week. Admitted to my parents she's been using and wants help. She gave my mom her paraphernalia, which was a huge step. They also got the car keys back from her. Dad had been letting her use a car.

I told my mom that my sister is the one who will need to make the calls and find the help. If she's serious, she will. Sister said on Monday she'll start calling. Of course, my first reaction was that if she's back at my parents house, she needs to get checked out medically and get the prof. help now, but I'm not the parent, only the sister watching and listening. Also, my sister brought the bf with her and he said he needs help, too, so they both can find a place together. Money for rehab is an issue, though. My parents can't afford thousands of dollars to help her and I won't take from my savings. I just can't. I pray she will find something that will help her.

My mom asked if I would go with her to a parent/family meeting tomorrow. Hopefully, my mom can find support from other parents.

I'm really just worn out by the whole thing. It hurts seeing my mom hurt so much. Hopefully, I'll find more strength when dealing with my family for myself tomorrow at the meeting.

As for myself, I've cut back on some things at work I really didn't want to do any longer. Too many committees, projects, etc. that I really didn't have to say yes to.
I'm really trying to get to the core of my own happiness, but right now I'm just going through the motions again. It seems there's always something out of balance.
I'm not quite sure what I need to do, if anything. I'm listening and watching for signs. That's all I can do right now.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

Hey Aztchr! Sounds like you are doing all you can. Keep standing your ground! If your sister is serious, then she'll find a way to get help!

(((((AZ)))))
Old 10-07-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think what really helped me was to really take the time to sit and define what helping really was. In your head you know that she has to do this on her own. In your heart, you believe that if you just get her into a place, you'll have helped.
You know what that turns into.
You find a place, you'll have to help her register, you'll have to decide what to pack and then pack it, you'll find out all the rules and regs of the rehab place, you'll explain all this to your parents, you'll have to drive her over there and then go pick her up when she checks herself out because they are all jerks who don't know what they are doing. It's all one big circle back to the same place. If she really means it, it's time for her to step up and you to step aside.
You have to become convicted about this and then it is easier to do it.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
As for myself, I've cut back on some things at work I really didn't want to do any longer. Too many committees, projects, etc. that I really didn't have to say yes to.
I'm really trying to get to the core of my own happiness, but right now I'm just going through the motions again.
Hey, az, I'm always thinking of you - thanks for checking in. It took me awhile to understand that sometimes just going through the motions is part of life. I have so many balls in the air right now, I've felt the same way. I try to remember that most of them have expiration dates on them. I also forcefully remind myself to take a step back and do something just for me - so today I will do some work in the morning, but this afternoon and tonight I will be seeing a movie and having dinner with a friend.

Sounds like you're working your way through, and that's great. ((()))
Old 10-07-2007, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mallowcup View Post
I think what really helped me was to really take the time to sit and define what helping really was. In your head you know that she has to do this on her own. In your heart, you believe that if you just get her into a place, you'll have helped.
You know what that turns into.
You find a place, you'll have to help her register, you'll have to decide what to pack and then pack it, you'll find out all the rules and regs of the rehab place, you'll explain all this to your parents, you'll have to drive her over there and then go pick her up when she checks herself out because they are all jerks who don't know what they are doing. It's all one big circle back to the same place. If she really means it, it's time for her to step up and you to step aside.
You have to become convicted about this and then it is easier to do it.
Yes, I agree! This is what my mom needs to hear, too. We are going to a meeting today.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea!! I'm very proud of Mom for still going to the meeting today.
It was nice that she heard the same message about taking care of yourself from other people besides me. Lots of parents and newcomers to the meeting. Mom was definitely not alone! The leader shared her experience, what brought her there, etc. and then the topic was discussing the different slogans, what is working for you, etc.

We had dinner after and it was nice to have my mom back for a little bit.
I really do enjoy the meetings. I needed it, too. Makes it a little easy to start the new week.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As for my sister, her HP will help her when she's ready. I can only stand to the side and love her while continuing to love myself and be strong.