Watching my daughter go under

Old 10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your story broke my heart hunny. I too am a mother and this just has to be the most difficult time in your life. I will pray for both of you tonight. I so hope for her sake that she receives the help she needs. Take care.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers to you and your daughter, bright. addiction is a painful disease, i understand.

blessings, k
Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Mom hugs and prayers coming your way. Stay focused on your own needs at this time too bec I can see that this is hurting you something awful. Counseling and al-anon buddies helped me immeasurably. We all do what we are comfy with. I provided health insur. to my son when he was active in his addiction to drugs. I would take him for a good meal when possible. I wouldn't beat yourself up about the food.
It doesn't sound like you are enabling her in her disease. Learn all you can aboout detachment and how you can apply it in your life to ease your emotional pain. I know this is difficult to watch your daughter live like this...obviously she is having dilusional/psychotic thoughts. When my son was bad he distanced himself which in itself was painful but at least I didn't have to see him out of it. Good luck to you.
And prayers for your daughter to find a better way
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There aren;t any real invountary committment laws anymore because they were severely abused in the past.

Not true. ?As I mentioned above, if you are in Florida, you have two avenues. For mental illness, the Baker act is used for involuntary treatment. For alcoholism, the Marchman Act. I'm one signature (three are needed) from having the XABF go through involuntary assessment (which he'll fail) then involuntary treatment. Florida even has a "chronic alcoholic" designation which allows for up to six months treatment at a time, which is renewable.

I'm going to add at this point that so many suggested reading "Under the Influence" that I bought it. There is a section called "The Myth and the Reality" that clears up a lot of misconceptions about the disease. Read this ...

Myth: An alcoholic has to want help to be helped.
Reality: Most drinking alcoholics do not want to be helped. They are sick, unable to think rationally, and incapable of giving up alcohol by themselves. Most recovered alcoholics were forced into treatment against their will. Self-motivation usually occurs during treatment, not before.

This echos the recent opinions of Debra Jay author of "No More Letting Go" and Bruce Cotter in "When they Won't Quit." It still rubs me wrong that while we protect ourselves with detachment, we also oftentimes completely walk away. I'm beginning to think we need a new thinking in our legal system concerning mental illness and addiction. Could it be the pendulum swung too far in the opposite direction back in the 70s? Yes, those in need were set free from those who would abuse them in institutions, but instead, we threw them to wolves, namely their addiction.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Addiction is horrible, but this sound like some schizophrenia. Has she ever been evaluated? Most areas have help for mental health and w/ proper meds, they lead normal lives.

Prayers from one AD mom to another,
susan