can you tell me?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can you tell me?

hi all, how do i find a program in my area?
i'm in a small town in central Alaska. can this be done on line?
thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm new to all of this, Is al-anom for A,s only or do they help family of A's as well?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

You find all sorts of useful info here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

AlAnon is for the families/friends of As.

And this ploace has been a God send for me and so many others. Keep on posting.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I live in two states and both have listings for the area in ea. for mtgs.
You should be able to get linked up with google. Even if you are in a rural area I bet their is a recovery community there. Good luck to ya.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alanon will help, here is the link www.Al-Anon-AK.org
Old 09-28-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in Palmer.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you all, The closest place to attend meetings is in Wasilla witch is 70 miles away. I'll keep reading post here but will that get me the help that I need?
I dont mean to sound negitive but I,m thinking mabe its not that bad
and just live with it.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
but I,m thinking mabe its not that bad
and just live with it.
I used to think that, but it will get worse. Even if you decide to "live with it", I would recommend that you keep coming here and reading. It will help immensely.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is a progressive disease. I know people who drive further than that at least once a week for a meeting. I'd consider trying it and seeing if it helps. Occasional face to face contact with those who understand is priceless.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont mean to sound negitive but I,m thinking mabe its not that bad
and just live with it.
I'm thinking that it might be bad enough since you have reached out looking for Al-Anon information. There has to be something there that is making you uncomfortable. Why "just live with something" that has lead to you posting here???

There is an abundance of support from some really good people that have been where you are now. Some people's situations are worse than others, that doesn't mean it's any less significant. Why not share your story, it might make you feel better?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Widetrak, from what I recall reading in your other posts, it is a big deal, you should be here and I agree with those who suggest you try to get to a meeting a few times periodically.

My situation is similar to yours in many ways - my wife was a secret drinker to the point that she was abusing for 6 years and I didn't even know (part of this is because she also has reumatoid arthritis, whose symptoms include extreme fatigue -"explaining" evening semi-consciousness, and sore joints - "explaining" falling-down-drunkenness). Over those years things crept piece by piece through to some very difficult stuff for me and also some pretty negative things for our daughters. My wife eventually experienced the dt's (which was terrfying for me, let alone her) and since has been doing very well (almost seven weeks sober - early days but promising) and she is really starting to dig into working a recovery program.

You know, if you put a frog into a boiling pot, it will hop out. However, if you put it in a room temperature pot and slowly raise the temperature, it will continuously acclimatize and let you cook it without noticing that anything is wrong. I think that we codependent people have a situation like that. You therefore need to really recognize when things are bad. Try making a list of the things that have been/are happening and then consider whether you would want your child/parent/sibling/spouse/whoever to go through it. If the answer is "Hell, no!" then it is a big deal.

One of the things, though, that you might find surprising (I did and am) is that getting help is about us fixing ourselves - it isn't about "getting" or "making" the alcoholics in our lives to get better (although I think that there are some ways we can be supportive of those who are working on their recovery). I'm still working on processing this little tidbit.

Keep posting.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pjreid View Post
One of the things, though, that you might find surprising (I did and am) is that getting help is about us fixing ourselves - it isn't about "getting" or "making" the alcoholics in our lives to get better (although I think that there are some ways we can be supportive of those who are working on their recovery). I'm still working on processing this little tidbit.

Keep posting.
I just dont under stand why she is sick but I need to be fixed.
got home from work and yes she has been drinking and yes it does bother me,
but it is slight and if you did not know her you would not know that she was drinking

If I keep my mouth shut it will be a calm night but if I say any thing the fight will be on. I guess I know the anser, I cant just live with this.

Last edited by DesertEyes; 10-04-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just dont under stand why she is sick but I need to be fixed.
Took me a long time to wrap my head around this one as well. Reading 'Codependent No More' helped. It's all about settling. Are you living your best life, or are you settling for something less? That's the question that answers the other questions.

L
Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter if your spouse if drinking a lot or all the time or whatever. If the alcohol is causing you problems, there is a drinking problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok, lets see if I got this right. I cant do anything to fix her.
I have to change my life because I'm unhappy, But what am I
changing to? I like my life, My kids are grown and maried.
retirment is in sight and I want to spend it happly with my wife in peace.
There has to be a way! I've got to find A way! I don't think I have ever
been this sad
Old 10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are people who learn to live with active alcoholism. I've met them in Al-Anon. Changing one's life comes in many variations. Bottom line for me was accepting I cannot change another's behaviors. Everything I do today acknowledges that as my reality.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Going to my first Al-Anon meeting tonight told wife that I'm going but did not go
into why or what got me to this point and she did not ask. I hopeing this will
help me see what I must do. Not sure how I fell about this, just uneasy I guess.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck, hon.

As LTD said, this is about living the best life you can. Al-anon can help, if you put in the work. Likewise, counselling can be a godsend.

Let us know how you got on.