a little insomnia

Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a little insomnia

Even though I'm dealing with my sister's relapse, there are still so many positives in my life.

When you started to take care of yourself and things were going well, did you ever get a little insomnia? In the past, I had wanted to sleep a lot, was depressed, and just wanted to be stuck in misery.

Now that I have made different choices, I'm wide awake many nights. I'm not suffering too much during the day from being too tired, but maybe it'll catch up with me.

Just wondered about this happening to others. Changing my outlook and getting help for myself has made such a difference, although I didn't think insomnia would be a side effect.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fellow insomnia sufferer here.

I've always been a night person, but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I've tried to sleep normal hours, went to bed tonight at around 9:00 PM, and actually did sleep, however, wide awake by 11:30.

Not quite sure the reasons for my insomnia. I don't sit wide awake and stress or obsess. It would be nice to have a normal sleeping pattern, but it is what it is I suppose.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I'm staying up and enjoying the peace. Some people get up early to do the same. I guess my time is supposed to be at night.

Good to know I'm not alone with this subject either.

Going to try to call it a night, rather morning already.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ICU

Originally Posted by aztchr View Post
When you started to take care of yourself and things were going well, did you ever get a little insomnia?
Oh yeah, you should see some of my previous 'post' times here, LOL!

When I first ended it with my ex, I slept like the dead for the first few days. See, he used to wake me up a couple of times a night to tell me what a piece of doo-doo I was. After he was gone, I think my mind and body collapsed for shear exhaustion. Not even sure if I ate or not either.

But then my body clock got all messed up. I couldn't stay awake beyond 6:30 pm or so, up again at 10:00, wide awake. It took almost a year+ to return back to somewhat of a normal sleeping pattern.

But if I have even one day where it's off, it will take me weeks to get back on track again.

Now I try to drink a glass of milk before I go to bed. Calcium makes me sleepy, and I 'stay' asleep longer. I also put on a soothing sound effects cd (ocean waves with Pachelbel Canon) playing softly in the background. Something about ocean waves that soothes me. If I have a tv program on, well, it's too much chattering and it makes my mind 'think'! Another hint is about an hour before I turn in, I turn the lights either off, or way down so it's dimly light. It's supposed to help trigger the 'sleep' response, according to Dr. Weil!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I suffered from off and on insomnia most of my adult life. At first it was relatred to PMS, then menopause, now whokonws what.

If its only occassional, try a conscious relexation exercise (I'm sure you can find several on the internet) as a means of relaxing your mind and body to the point where you can get to sleep. Its sort of like self hypnosis and can work.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Adrenelin,,,,,,ENERGY!!!!!

At least that's what it is for me Teach. I found when I stopped enabling and "twisting" in my craziness for the A, I had more ENERGY!

Which translated into action

And since he was no longer in my life, I had more time for ME!!! Go figure!?!?!?!?

That in turn got my adrenalin pumping, and the possibilities kept me awake at night

I'm translating it all at "SUCCESSFUL" detachment.

By the way, I think I hit that wall though. Been sleeping better at night, but it could do with filling my in the day so much, I'm exhausting myself,,he,he,he,,

Peace
Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

azzie.....have you ever tried melontoma??? you buy it in the vitamin and herb section at any wally world. it works for me like a charm for those sleepless nights.

within 20 minutes of taking 2 tabs, i am yawning. it is a very natural sleep and the signs are very subtle that it's time to go to bed....if you wait too late after the first subtle sign, it doesn't work as well for me. the sign for me is that first yawn or two....i got to bed and drift into such a blissful sleep. and no after morning effects...no drowsiness or anything like that. i couple that with a sleep excercise of closing my eyes and making swirling patterns out of the darkness. in no time, i'm dead to the world.

it's cheap, too.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

aztchr,

You don't mention what your age is? I'm perimenopausal (have been since I was 40) and insomnia is not uncommon at all. I got so sick of it...it really started to mess up my life after a while, always tired and blunted. I've got a whole multi-layered scheme worked out to deal with it by now; happy to share ideas Even before the current hormonal upheaval, stress often manifested itself as insomnia.... sigh...

GL
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The funny thing is I don't feel tired and seem to get a second wind when I get home.
I do have more energy and I'm much happier these days. Sure beats the alternative.
Maybe it's just a phase for a bit. I'm 31, but since I teach the same age of kids each year, I don't age either.

If it gets bothersome or I get cranky and tired, I'll try something different. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Give Love
I am going through menopause now. I actually have been going through it for aout 18 months. I have insomnia. Some of it is related to coming off of the benzos. i thiought that should be over by now. You indicated that you had a scheme worked out. Care to ahre it with me? I'm 45 and I am so tired of only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night. it comes in 15-10 minutes spurts. I'll doze off and wake back up very suddenly. I never do get to the rem stage of sleep. It's like I 'm on the edge all of the time. .............Viki