Getting Busy Living is Great Fun

Old 09-10-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Getting Busy Living is Great Fun

I thought I'd join my pal ICU, who seems like she's been having great fun lately, and get busy living myself. I must say, I highly recommend it. It's infinately more enjoyable than wallowing around in misery with folks who resemble the living dead.

Over the past few months, I've been focusing on taking better care of myself and treating me the way I tend to treat others. So, these days, I Dream of Jilly has been left out of her magic lantern, and my every wish is my command.

I started out by taking better care of myself. I began by focusing on nurishing my body properly. I had been abusing myself with food for several years and it showed. I don't count calories or consider myself on a diet, I just make healthier choices. The end result: I've shed 30 pounds.

So, to show off my healthier, slimmer figure, I splurged on a whole new wardrobe. And instead of choosing similar styles to what I typically pick, I focused only on items that I would never try on in the past. I didn't want to sport a similar look with similar clothes just in smaller sizes. I wanted a whole new look because I feel like a whole new me.

Then I went to my hair dresser and told her she could do anything she wanted with my hair, but there was one stipulation, I wanted to look hot. REALLY HOT. And she delivered! The men at work went crazy over my new "do," even men who had never spoken to me before (and I've worked at the same place 10 years) stopped me in the halls to tell me they loved my hair. Last week, two gentlemen walked by my office, stopped and walked by a second time. I haven't had a double-take in years. I actually started thinking "yeah, I've still got it." That's a far cry from feeling, overweight, old, and ugly. How fun is that?

Then, with encouragement from you all, I accepted an invitation for a date from an admirer. On the first date, we met for lunch and talked for several hours. On Saturday, he invited me over to his place and he cooked me a fabulous dinner. I got the works, a great meal, wine for him, sparkling grape juice for me, candles, soft music, and a respectable hug and a polite kiss goodnight when I left. He was a true gentleman and seems to recognize my need to proceed slowly. This Saturday, he's coming over to my place for dinner. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. The best part about all this is that I feel like a desirable woman again. It's doing wonders for my self esteem.

I'm learning that taking care of yourself entails so much more than just indulging in a bubble bath when you've had a hard day. Taking care of yourself means recognizing and taking care of all your needs: mind, body, and soul. It also means asking for what you need and placing yourself first.

I hope others will join ICU and me and get busy living, too, and then share their stories here to encourage others to do the same. It's high time we take our lives back.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! You seem happy and looking out for you is wonderful.

You sure are brave to have let your hairdress do whatever she wanted. Glad it worked out.

Enjoy!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You Go Girl!
I'll be at your heels ... moving my butt in that direction and making my way back to the land of the living.
You are an inspiration and a light for us to follow!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You sound wonderful! I am so happy for you. You have come so very far. {hugs}
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So happy to hear how great you sound!
And, thanks for the inspiration,too!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope others will join ICU and me and get busy living, too, and then share their stories here to encourage others to do the same.
I have soooo been busy living too! Now that everything is behind me, I couldn't be happier. In fact, I just can't stop smiling, all day long! It's almost ridiculous! Glad to hear you're doing well, Jill!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you, Jilly! The good life is out there, and it's not just a fantasy. All it takes is the courage to reach out and grab it! Sounds like that is just what you are doing.

Me, I'm busy doing the same. I just got back from a business/pleasure trip to San Francisco. Stayed in a luxurious bed and breakfast (reimbursed by my employer) instead of the boring generic hotels I used to pick. And returned from the city the scenic way up highway one. (Although it took 2 days for the return trip instead of five hours, LOL) Oh, and I took a companion with me on the trip. Travel, romance, scenery, what more could one ask for? Life is good.

L
Old 09-11-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ICU

Your post warms my heart Jill!

I admit though that I did have an 'adjustment period' to go through after I began 'living' and enjoying myself again. Seems I didn't know how to keep it going without some drama to put an end to it, so I stirred up some drama of my own making to fix that, LOL. At least I'm aware of my 'uncomfortableness' with being happy and I'm learning how not to sabatoge it myself anymore. At least I can laugh at myself about it though!

And you're right, taking care of ourselves is more than just having a bubble bath after a rough day. Maybe it's like you're doing, having a bubble bath before the day starts (so-to-speak), just because you're worth it. It's about being proactive in our own happiness.

I have a few other things planned in the near future and have begun playing around with my camera again. God, I haven't taken pictures in eons. It feels good to reconnect with and nurture my creative side again too! The sun is definitely beginning to shine on my a little longer as each day passes. It feels so good!

Enjoy the new figure, hair, clothes, (male) attention ;-) and all that you are doing for yourself JIll. You wear it well my friend!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

JIlly that is wonderful! You have come so far in your recovery and truly are an inspiring woman! Enjoy those new clothes!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic, FD. Lately I have gotten the comment "you glow" from quite a few people.

I think I'm biting off a little too much of life lately! But I'm having fun. I'm still in trial with the divorce. Getting the house ready to put on the market. Discovering new talent to keep my career going. Also buying another business to generate income - that involves 3 employees so that will be new for me. In my line of work, most employees are gone in 3 months LOL.

Something fun I did for me this past week: at the house I have painters, landscapers, tree trimmers, carpet layers, general contractor, electrician and plumber. Wednesday I got an email from my best friend since kindergarten saying that she and her husband would be in San Diego for a convention through the weekend. I immediately got on line, booked with Amtrak (upgraded myself to business because I'm worth it), got a beautiful hotel room and Thursday gave a key to all the contractors, left it all behind and headed down until Friday night. I had not seen her for 6 years and we had a blast! Only once did I think, I wonder how they're making out at the house? It was so nice to not go into crazy making mode over it all. Just go!

I'm hopeful, but not certain, that my trial will be over this Friday. That will free me up to hit the road more often. At Thanksgiving I am taking my 16-year old nephew to London. It will be his first trip out of the country. Hmmmm wonder what Minnie will be up to LOL.

I date; nothing serious. Having dinner parties again. BBQ's with friends old and new. Having a fabulous time. I cracked up about the "hot" comment to your stylist. That's what I always say to mine, too.

I am so grateful to have the "old" me back in a new improved version.

Thanks for the post!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I'm grateful to have the old me back, in a new and improved version, too. I received a similar type of comment to your "you glow" comment today. I was walking down the hallway headed for the cafeteria when an acquaintence stopped me to say that I looked great and my eyes were shining. It's nice to know that my eyes, which had been dimmed for so long, are once again filled with light.

We shouldn't allow others to steal our joy and dim that light.

It made me smile to see many of you refer to me as "Jilly." That's what my mom and my brothers and sister call me. Guess that makes you all part of the family
Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

wowwweeee jilly! you are such an amazing woman. just for your information, your insights and journies have impacted me greatly. you will never, ever know how much. thank you, dear jilly.

march on, enjoy your life. and congrats on losing the weight, new wardrobe, new do, and the second looks!