How About A Rehab for Family Members of A's????

Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like this idea. It would certainly be more accesible to those who have more cash on hand, and you KNOW it would not be covered in any way by insurance.

I like the idea!! I think you should explore this more-- it may exist in some form, also, with a good search you may find an inspirational model.

As a side note; I Do, in fact, know an alcoholic or two who drink with relatively few other abusive qualities. Some people just go numb. I still dont want to be involved with some one all numbed up like that. It is still a disease.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Last summer there was a small get together of some SR folks here in the DC area that I was part of. It wasn't structured and there was no focus on recovery.... but we sure had a blast and it was absolutely healing

I know what you mean and I know how you feel. I think it would be great if you started something.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

In Alanon we have retreats, weekend and weekend get togethers.
Have you looked into that?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Mr C beat me to it. Al Anon has local weekend retreats from time to time. along with area conferences ... My old home group in Texas had a standing date at Crested Butte for a week in July or August every year. They have a big AA/Al Anon conference, filled with workshops and recovery related activities.

Here in my area there are at least 2 or 3 weekend retreats this fall... and the cost is OH so reasonable.

It's all good... and you can't imagine how much just a few days at one of those conferences can change your life.

Hugs

Cats
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I do know of a treatment/rehab center for codependency. It is located in Kentucky I think.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenteree View Post
Denny - are there people out there who's A's "only drink"? Seriously, or were you being sarcastic (and it's truly funny if you were). We all know lying, blaming, everything that goes with most A's personalities, so I do find it hard to believe that certain people "only drink".

ARL - While it is true that many will pay the rehab fees for the A, there are some out there, such as myself, that while I don't have alot of money, I could get the money to pay for treatment for myself, because I need it. And while medical insurance will pay for alcohol and drug abuse treatment, they will not pay for co-dependant treatment. We need to find a way to make it possible to have our treatment covered. My plan has some glitches, and thank you all for pointing them (and probably even more) out, and that is what is helping me so much. I truly feel I need to do something for US (families and friends of A's), we need to be recognized as needing help. If and when I ever get this perfected, you are all welcome to my open house weekend (for free!) and you have that in writing (LOL). Please keep your opinions and suggestions coming. Thanks.
If the codies develop medical problems then insurance will kick in. I think this may also include anxiety, psychologic disorders, etc etc.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Nice thread QT. I think most people think all we need is a "break" from the insanity.

A break does me SQUAT.

I need education. I need to learn healthy coping skills. I need to learn a way and real life exercises on how to feel entitled to feelings, good things and that I am acceptable. I need to learn meditation skills, to learn to find balance.

It would be great if it was simply for codependency and had very little to do with alcoholism. I was codependent long before I was with XABF.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - I need to be taught by people who have succeeded and need a good solid week of doing nothing but work on myself, not having to deal with work, cleaning the house, cooking meals...I just want a week to work on myself.

I can learn these things through therapy and Al-Anon outside of a codie rehab center, but think of the progress without the daily BS of juggling in work, Al-anon, mowing the lawn, therapy, rushing home to take out the dog, reading, etc - and a week of working and focusing on just me!

Simply sitting my butt on a beach in a foreign country does me SQUAT.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey there queentree

There's a big need for people willing to help organize the kind of places you're talking about. Right now there's tons of weekend-long retreats called "conventions", or out here in the west "roundup". These usually happen at some fancy hotel and are exactly what you mention; intensive work on recovery. A lot of them include other fellowships such as OA, NA, AA and so on.

There are also longer ones called "retreats". Most of these are small, intimiate and held in some secluded place away from civilization. The more expensive ones are exactly the way you describe; full staff, therapists, massage, and heavy heavy recovery.

All of these events are always in need of people willing to help organize and put them on. It's a ton of work, and if you're willing we'd love to have your help. You can find a huge list of them here

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+%2Bconvention

Mike
p.s. God willing, I'll be here http://www.lasvegasroundup.com/
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ritabee

I'm a little late reading this post but had to toss in my comments

I went to a codependency program here in Ontario in January. It ran from Sunday to Friday and was live-in, all meals included. I grabbed this description from their website:

Westover offers a seven-day Residential Family Program open to men and women who feel their lives have been affected by someone else's alcohol or drug abuse, ( i.e. spouse, adult child, parent, sibling, friend). This program admits six clients per group with a total of 34 groups per year. A highly recommended six-month Aftercare program consisting of weekly meetings in three locations follows treatment.

Through lectures, videos, and group discussions guidance is provided on changes individuals can make to assist them in dealing with the affects of substance abuse and their subsequent response to life situations. A safe environment and a caring and professional staff ensure that clients receive the information and support they need to effectively cope with the physical, emotional and spiritual challenges of living with addictions.

What is the focus of the program?

The focus is primarily on self esteem. Through various teaching approaches clients learn what changes they can make in order to feel more at ease with themselves. We have sessions on communications, assertiveness and anger management as well we assist clients in exploring their feelings, issues concerning boundaries and healthy choice making.

This is a program offered by a rehab in the area. Ontario residents can go there free of charge (it's covered under our health plan). The residents of the codependency program are housed separately from the patients in rehab but we shared the same dining room for meals (mingling among the groups was strictly forbidden).

It is a great idea and certainly worth looking into. We had group and individual sessions during the days and watched some videos at night (about alcoholism of course). We had homework to hand in every night and the course was quite intensive. There wasn't much time to worry about what the A was doing while we were away.

Here is a link to their website, look under the picture and click on "Family Program". There are also numbers to call for more information.

http://www.westover-fdn.org/treatment.htm

Hope this helps.

Rita