binge drinking

Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

binge drinking

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in quite a while.
My dh doesn't drink every day but he is a major binge drinker. He has spent several weekends in the past couple months completely plastered. Friday night he starts out with a case of beer....then a bottle of whine...then comes the whiskey and it keeps coming all weekend long until Sunday night. He drinks in nearly every weekend. I don't need to go into all the excuse, blame, etc. I have read enough of your posts to know you all know it as well as I do.
Sometimes I don't know if I belong here or not as he does not drink every day. But this is a problem for me and I cannow see this is a problem for our dd. So, I know it is a problem.
My sister is in the hospital with surgery complications - this has made this the most stressful week. DH, knowing how difficult this week has been, decided to start the Labor day weekend early last night. I really could have used his support.

I'm so tired. I'm so scared.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, reading the AA Big Book and the Getting Them Sober books helped me immensely.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

all that really matters is that it is a problem for YOU. you going to alanon? hugs, k
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
Sometimes I don't know if I belong here or not as he does not drink every day.
This isn't about him - for once! Hope you'll keep posting for your own sanity and serenity. Welcome back!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just talked to him. He thinks I have no right to be upset about last night. Apparently he has plans to continue on. he tells me he is for once "wearing the pants". That's code for doiing whatever he wants. meaning it's going to be a great long weekend.

I just can't take this. I can't. I'm always strong for dd but today I feel like I am made out of glass.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you tried Al-Anon for you? Tell him you're wearing the dress LOL! Seriously, I hope I never hear the expression "I need to be a man in full" for the rest of my friggin life. Full of what may I ask?

Hang in there - you're stronger than you think.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nothin changes if nothin changes sweetie......I do however feel you pain...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He thinks you have NO RIGHT to be upset? Tell him he doesn't dictate your rights on how to feel. Oh how I love long holiday weekends .... LOL!!! I'd suggest you spend as much of your time away from him as possible. I go to the local Barnes & Noble bookstore and practically live in the place. If you have friends or family to hang out with, by all means do.

Until you actually leave, you may think you can't take it .... but you are. Hang in there, and remember we've all lived with this craziness.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. I've been through this so many times and this could happen at any time for me too until I can leave.

End of last year I had to have cataract surgery and had become completely blind in one eye. It appeared at first AH was going to be my rock. He drove me to the clinic and amazingly was sober and waiting to drive me home 2 hours later. He gently tucked me in bed at home to finish sleeping off the anesthetics and get some rest. When I awoke a few hours later he wasn't home and came home drunk when the bar closed. He drank that entire weekend and almost daily for two more weeks. I didn't think I would survive the stress levels I had to deal with. But I did. and I have another followup surgery I need to have and possibly one in the other eye. I'm biding my time for now needing my job, benefits and doing what I can to begin changing my situation.

I don't think I can ever trust him to ever be there for me ever again, at least not at the level I need. He thinks he was a "good boy" just driving me there and back and deserved to go out and have some fun. We're just not on the same page anymore.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

When you realize you are not on the same page anymore, its time to write your own story.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lady BlueMiles View Post
He gently tucked me in bed at home to finish sleeping off the anesthetics and get some rest. When I awoke a few hours later he wasn't home and came home drunk when the bar closed.

I don't think I can ever trust him to ever be there for me ever again, at least not at the level I need. He thinks he was a "good boy" just driving me there and back and deserved to go out and have some fun.
Ahh! This brings back memories! Being tucked in bed when I was so exhausted, only to wake up a few hours later by a screaming baby and no husband in the house. He was off getting plastered! He was no help and I am so glad he's out of my house now!