questions about alcohol withdrawal

Old 08-29-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

questions about alcohol withdrawal

First, thanks to all of you who have helped me so far. I really appreciate the people on this board.
My AH is really trying to quit drinking, and this past week he's cut his alcohol intake by about 3/4, only drinking about 4 beers a night.
If he drinks, he vomits, and if he doesn't drink, he vomits! Is this a common withdrawal symptom?
Yesterday I posted a thread about his extreme agitation. Yesterday was one of the worst days of MY LIFE. He was a psychopath. He was constantly shifting between anger, crying, heavy sighing, every emotion (except a good one!!) I was scared to death - I didn't know what to do - or what to say. He ended up calming down and eventually sleeping last night. He is feeling good today but still vomiting.
I think the problem yesterday was not the absence of alcohol, but rather the fact that without alcohol he did not sleep at all the night before. He was totally exhausted yesterday, and feeling anxiety from the withdrawal too.
Does this sound familiar?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not certain that vomiting is the most common symptom, but it is a symptom. Plus, lack of sleep can affect some people more intensely than others- I am one who gets very weird with insomnia issues. Still, what you describe sounds terrible. I am really beginning to think your husband should be seen by a different doc than he has been seeing. The vomiting could be a withdrawal symptom, but what if it's something else? Hopefully someone will come along soon who can give you better advice than I'm giving you. I'm thinking of you both and I hope things get better soon.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support...I am open to new ideas and suggestions but unfortunately my AH isn't! I am just asking for my own peace of mind...he won't go to the doctor or do anything until he's good and ready - it doesn't matter what I say or what I think (or what any of you think either.)
I think you're right that lack of sleep hit him like a ton of bricks. Maybe also he's more sensitive due to his lack of alcohol.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The only thing you can do is be prepared to call 911 if you think its necessary. From the little I know about withdrawal, there can be a risk of serious problems, especially with other underlying health problems.

Of course he won't listen to you. Isn't that always the case? {hugs}
Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's a link with alcohol withdrawal symptoms listed, aGrandma...all the ones you've described are there. I wish your hubs would be a little less hard headed! http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/withdraw/a/aa030307a.htm
Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I totally understand what you are going through. When my b/f stops drinking after a couple of days he is a total nervous wreck. Agitated,anxious,panicky,throws up all the time and literally his whole body shakes and he is too scared to leave the house.
I always suggest getting some help to calm down from a doctor but its like talking to a brick wall,he wont go anywere cos hes too scared and feels like no-one will help him anyway cos so many docs judge him cos of his drinking. I just hate watching him go through it all and i feel helpless. Just be there for your husband and try not to push him into doing too much cos it will make the agitation worse,believe me i know all to well as im guilty of over nagging at times.