5th meeting

Old 08-27-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5th meeting

Tonight was my 5th meeting with local f2f Alanon group. After next week, I'll move from the introductory newcomers session and join the main group. But I do have a slight problem. I also took a big step tonight in recovery.

My boss wants me to take a 15 week introductory banking course he's teaching on Monday nights beginning September 17th. That means I won't be able to return to that group till the course is done. I'm kinda sad about that because I was just getting comfortable and the location is close to home and ideal for me after a long day at work. Sigh.

I've been wanting to try other groups anyways, it's just hard with my schedule as other meetings are further away and I feel so tired at the end of the day. I admit I've been stalling to do it. So, this will be a good opportunity to motivate and get out and find another meeting on a different night and meet some new folks.

AH "cut back" on drinking this week. For the past 3 meetings he was out drinking and didn't realize I was out and the 4th meeting he was home but drinking and I just said I was going to the store. This was the first sober night he was sitting home and I couldn't just walk out the door without saying something. I've been afraid of his response if I told him I was going to Alanon and the same time felt it was personal didn't want to share it with him. I don't want to get all caught up with lying when I go to a meeting or making lame excuses if I want to go more than once a week so I came half clean tonight.

I told him I was going to a self-help group session and that I'd been going 4 weeks. It worked out good. He didn't question it, he didn't feel threatened about it being about his drinking and I got to keep my privacy and maintained the anonymity of the group. I'm glad for the way it turned out.