Unbearable empathy and sadness

Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unbearable empathy and sadness

After reading the story below I recalled my aw recounting how she'd been physically abused by her father. Perhaps the emotional effect of this played some role in her recent alcoholism.

The visual imagery invoked by the description of a 4 year old child "seen standing as if in a "vigil" at her bedroom window is very difficult to think about. A child in pain and agony not even understanding why, looking out her window at a world she would never get to see.

================================================== ============
LONDON (Reuters) - A young mother and her partner were jailed for life on Friday for murdering her four-year-old daughter after subjecting the child to horrific abuse.

Sharon Wright and McKenzie-Seaton were found guilty at Bradford Crown Court of killing Leticia Wright.

Wright, 23, and McKenzie-Sean, 22, denied murdering the child at their home in Huddersfield in November last year.

The court heard during a four-week trial how Leticia was found naked and suffering multiple injuries, including to her head and abdomen equivalent to a major road traffic accident.

The police officer in charge of the investigation described the case as the worst he had ever been involved in.

"This has truly been an horrific case," Detective Superintendent Paul Taylor of West Yorkshire Police said.

Taylor described Wright and McKenzie-Seaton as "very unpleasant people" who had not been fit to look after a child. "These two people wanted to be together and Leticia was in the way," he said.

The couple was handed a minimum sentence of 23 years each for the girl's murder.

In the weeks before the death, the girl was seen standing as if in a "vigil" at her bedroom window, according to media reports. The girl looked sad but would smile and wave back at the neighbours who waved up at her.

snipped from
http://uk.news.*****.com/rtrs/200708...a-fa6b408.html
Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Unfortunately there are many sad stories like this. Its hard to understand WHY these types of misfortunes happen and you wonder how any human can harm another. Victims of our past, victims of our upbring, victims of our environment, victims of addiction. Can we possibly use any excuse? I can accept people can make a mistake but twice?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mortal Frailities,,and the "littlest heros"

The 'vigil' a reminder of the evils and the lessons. How fortunate for those of us who are CAPABLE of empathy and sadness to be reminded of injustice. And how small our own little world can be.

The spirits are now craddling the lost child in their arms,,,

Peace
Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I find it impossible to understand or forgive people like this. I don't think I could stay in the same room with people like this. i can't understand mothers who would allow this to happen to their children, much less mothers who would take part in the abuse.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

I had a cousin who was a drug addict and her husband was her dealer. He used to beat her and do stuff like stick the kids hands on the sover burner to punish them. My uncle and his wife eventualy got custody of the kids and a few months later my cousin was found dead due to yet another beating by her drug dealing husband. He was never prosecuted because they didn't have proof it was him, but we all know he did it. I don't remember ever meeting this cousin, She was older than me and I was told by her sister (who I did meet later in life) that her oldest girl looks just like me. I don't doubt it because her sister looked just like my mom.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It is what it is

All I can say is My God. How horrible. My heart breaks for the horrible life that little girl knew. Stories like that make it hard for me to believe that there is a God and that he is good, all knowing power.

Jenny