An Astonishing Coincidence!! Wow oh wow

Old 08-10-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

An Astonishing Coincidence!! Wow oh wow

Yesterday I went with exAH to court for sentencing on his DWI. He was given a strict but merciful probation by a judge we'll call Judge Dread. He is very lucky not to have been given jail time and he has the sense to be grateful. I guess it's cause he's been sober for months.

Let's put that aside for now.

So since exAH and I broke up I've taken tenants in my downstairs apartment. They are clean, nice, and pay on time. Very good. But I have noticed that the wife works like a dog while her husband works far fewer hours. I have also noticed him drinking beer in the late afternoon. I let it go figuring that I'm paranoid about it since AH's problems and since I don't drink myself. But it does seem like there is always beer somewhere around their vicinity.

When I get home from court I see tenant husband hanging around. He tells me he got out of work early and no he didn't seem to be drinking at all. But he starts to tell me a story about how a few months ago he got in a traffic accident that was all the other driver's fault, but he had been drinking so he was charged with DUI. He starts railing that he was really charged cause he's not from the US and they can tell his accent - not cause he was drunk.

ugh.

So I go online and look up his name in our local court files, something I know how to do now because of exAH. It turns out that the tenant is charged with the same crime and has been appearing in front of the very same judge - Judge Dread!! Holy mackeral! He was arrested only ten days before AH and appears to be fighting the charges. We have had court dates in the same courtroom just a day or two apart over the last months.

No, I didn't runa criminal check on them. They've only been in the USA for like four years - I didn't think they had enough time to get into trouble! Plus he hasn't been convicted of anything, only accused at this stage, so it wouldn't have shown up anyhow. But I did notice that his bail was nearly twice what ex AH's was - I wonder why. I also wonder if tenant will be deported upon conviction. HE does have a legal green card and all that - I really don't know much about immigration tho.

So that is my astonishing tale of incredible coincidence.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Isn't it amazing how the more things change, the more they remain the same?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The bail was probably more because driving drunk and being in/causing an accident is a more serious charge than DUI.

They can yank his green card for this, but they usually won't if it is a misdemeanor.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There is no such thing as a coincidence......
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We start going through life with our eyes WIDE OPEN after dealing with addiction. I have just moved to a townhouse complex and figure I have at least three neighbours who are addicts. I can read the signs now. I feel very sorry for their hard-working partners/SOs and particularly sad if there are children involved. It is everywhere....this is a nice middle-class neighbourhood too. Probably plenty of secrets behind the shaded windows of the houses up in the rich district of town.

ARL