I told him I'd divorce him if he continues

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I told him I'd divorce him if he continues

I finally got the nerve to tell my AH that if he continues to drink I'm divorcing him. I told him when he had not had a drink yet that day. I think that hit him like a ton of bricks. I guess he never thought I'd consider that. We've been together forever, married nearly 30 years. But I didn't say it to scare him or threaten him, it's the truth - I'm sure that's what scared him. He freaked out for a few days...and for now he's not drinking.
I never imagined I'd ever consider that choice. I can't imagine my life without him and our family together. But I can and I will do it to save my sanity - he knows I am serious.
I just wanted to share that with you - lots of you have been through this before. It is extremely stressful - staying or breaking up!! Either way!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Good for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Hi again, Grandma. I was with my alcoholic boyfriend for 25 years. I finally got up the nerve to end my relationship with him two years ago, though we remained friends until the end of his life. Breaking up with him was very difficult to do, but for me, living with an active alcoholic was harder. Watching him drink himself to death was something I simply wasn't strong enough to do. I always hoped that he would change and I loved him to the end, but I loved him from a safe distance. Each of us has to find a solution that works for us.