Tell me about blackouts

Old 08-07-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell me about blackouts

The other night he was such a jerk. All day yesterday I expected the worst when he got home. Then it was like nothing had even happened. I kept my guard up, as I have learned to do always, sometimes more than others. But nothing was even said about what had happened. This has happened many other times, but I am just wondering, was he in blackout or did he just not want to acknowledge the situation, and does it really even matter. Is there a way to tell if they are blacked out?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He probably dont remember anything. AND if he does he knows he screwed up and doesnt want to acknowledge anything.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

good point, anvil!

my daughter has them every time she drinks. it only takes a small amount of alcohol. we're lucky to have her - they are really dangerous as far as her personal safety. and she continues to drink and her alc levels get so high to the point of....

they're dangerous.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't remember any blackouts.......

Old 08-07-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
If it wasn't an actual blackout, I'd play stupid and pretend I didn't remember anything.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

ha, astro and glass. you're making so darn hard for me to stay in denial...........
Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

Only he knows if it's a blackout. They don't want to admit they happen but then if you push about what happend then they use a blackout as their excuse even if they do remember what happened.

What happens with my husband is when he is being a jurk and I speek up and defend my self, he would get even more mad and though he can't remember what he was mad about in the first place. He will however remember he was mad and hold that for a week. (I should say he used to do that) he hasn't done that in a long time.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is no way to determine whether or not he was in a blackout. After all, an active A will lie about anything and everything. The first time this happened, I was pretty freaked out. I mean, here was AH on a rant the night before, ripping me to shreads and I get up in the morning to a guy cooking breakfast and being all nice and lovey-dovey. HUH????

After it continued to happen, I came to the conclusion that it was all part of the grand scheme to protect his addiction. He would pretend nothing happened, lie, blame me, turn the tables, play switch-and-bait, whatever it took to NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for his actions. I think it all boils down to that: "I want to drink. I want to get drunk. To heck with you. Whatever it takes to maintain my boozing works fine by me."

I quit trying to figure out whether he was in a blackout or not. Sometimes he'd just appear to be acting looney and I'd find out he remembered nothing about the situation - or so he said. Other times he'd be stone-blind drunk and actually remember some of the stuff he had done. Cunning, baffling, powerful ... that's the effect of alcohol on the A's brain.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had blackouts, one or two I pieced together, others I will never recall. No one knows when another is in a blackouts.
When someone is in one area and comes to 3 states away and don't know how they got there, then the drunk catches on.

Search for "Alcohol-induced blackouts" Looks like a good site.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Believe it or not I just know when my AW had a blackout the night before. I know when I see her drunk by how she acts, and definately by the things she says.

She will NEVER acknowledge it the next day so I always make it a point to say something like "Have fun last night?" in a cheery voice. I hate to say it is funny but I can see if affects her that I dont get angry or give her the cold shoulder anymore.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, believe it or not:

1. Blackouts are scary

and

2. We are ashamed of ourselves when we overindulge. Especially if we do something bad, or don't know what we did....