Thank you for my life, you guys rock

Old 08-03-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Thank you for my life, you guys rock

Another poster got me to thinking, in a couple weeks would have been my 23yr wedding anniversary. Except that addiciton destroyed my marriage back in late '04.

Today I am single, and living in a nice little condo a few hundred miles from my old town. Today I come home from work an I toss my wallet and spare change on a dresser. It will still be there when I get out of bed tomorow morning. All my money will still be _exactly_ where I left it.

My checkbook sits on my desk. Ok, so it's a folding table tucked into a corner. The point is, none of the checks disapear from my checkbook. Day after day.

I'm making about a _third_ of what I was making back in L.A. But _all_ the bills are getting paid. Just barely, but I'm caught up on _all_ of them.

I got home after work, poked around the web a little and then took a nap. I slept thru my _whole_ nap. No drama. No chaos. No emergencies.

I've gone out on dates. And _liked_ it. I've had one relationship that was short, but it turned into a warm, gentle and deep friendship. Another relationship is kind rocky right now, but I'm ok with that. I'm not flipping out.

My life is not perfect. I gotta bunch of medical problems, I go see some doctor, get some kinda test, xray, blood draw or some such every other week. I'm ok with that, I'm not flipping out.

Some days I just have to stop for a minute and make sure I'm not dreaming. How did I go from that hair-on-fire insanity of just a couple years ago, to this heavenly, wonderfully serene life I have today?

This recovery thing really works. When I dragged my sorry tush into Al-Anon and here on SR I was desperate to find out how you people _survived_ this insanity. I was completely finished, could not see a way out at all. I cried for _weeks_. They even had to authorize an increase in the kleenex budget at my al-anon meet * lol *

This whole thing about steps and sponsors and meetings really does work. I'm still amazed that it does, I woulda never thought I could be this happy, this relaxed, this "serene" with my life as it is. But I am.

You guys here on SR have been a huge part of that. You guys showed me the way with your kindness and your humor. You tolerated my rants and confusion and told me to "keep coming back". Well I did, and I am so glad I did.

Thank you all for being here for me. For showing me how to find me a new life. When my anniversay comes round I'm going to grab a good book and take myself out to lunch. I'm going to celebrate all the good times I had in my marriage, cuz I did have a lot of those, and all the good times I'm having _now_. I'll say a prayer for all of you here on SR and toast you with a diet coke

Thank you for my life, you guys rock

Mike
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
... When I dragged my sorry tush into Al-Anon and here on SR I was desperate to find out how you people _survived_ this insanity....
Wow!

I only remember you as ...alsways being the solid rock that has the answers others are looking for. I guess we all had to find the answers some place.

Sure am grateful you came here to learn and grow. You have helped so many (me included) learn and grow along the way.
Thank you as well.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I think you and I arrived on the forum at just about the same time. Seems to me that I leaned more on you than you did on me. But let's just call it even. I think we've both come a long way since those days, and I'm glad our paths crossed and we were able to travel this journey together. So glad you're enjoying your new life.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

Mike, thank you so much for posting this. I am in the horrors, but I am almost out mentally and emotionally. Now I have the physical move left. Thanks for letting me see that there is peace and serenity to be had after all this crazilness is done.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever feel peace again. Thanks for showing me it will happen!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

beautiful! simply, beautiful! thanks for sharing mike. and i, too, always thought of you as one of the anchors here. it was always hard for me to imagine you all nutso like i was at one time (still go there once in a while...lol) until i read your story.

your recovery story is a true inspiration. thank you, mike!

jeri
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((((((Deserteyes))))))))

I coulda wrote you post. Thank you for beautifully putting it into words. I'm pinching myself a lot these days too

Peace
Old 08-04-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

Thank you for always sharing Mike . You have taught me more than you know with your storys . Im so happy for you !! (())s
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

awwww ty for all those wonderful compliments

Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As usual, thanks for your post,Mike!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

Mike, YOU ROCK!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mike, I've always loved your sense of humor. "Hair-on-fire" insanity. Dunno what it is about the phrase, but it gave me a good laugh. Maybe because I KNOW I've felt just that way! Thanks for your calm demeanor. Thanks for setting me straight on things when I've been in codie-overdrive and had mush for brains.

You are a valuable asset to all of us here. I still think back and smile about those two times we were at The Phoenician and dining "in style." Now THAT was fun and you had me in stitches. You indeed embrace and love life. (((Mike)))
Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh, and one more thing ...

.... watch out for those DANGLING PARTICIPLES!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ICU

Mike,

What a beautiful and inspiring post!

Your words of wisdom, and compassion, always seem to calm my 'inner brat', LOL!

I'll toast you right back with a 'caffeine-free' diet coke!
Old 08-05-2007, 04:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

dangling participles????.........i had that once, but the doctor gave me some medicine and they all went away. good thing, too. cuz it was embarassin' with it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Gratitude looks very becoming on you, Mike....

Thanks for the inspiration today!!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you so much you guys, those are wonderful compliments.

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

And you listened to many of our rants and confusion.

Must be anniversary season....I would have hit 6 in 2 weeks. And I'm totally good with it!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexasGirl View Post
And you
Must be anniversary season....I would have hit 6 in 2 weeks.

Wedding anniversary is coming up for me soon,too..would have been 29y on September 9th (or may still be! I just found out haha....but that's another story; a new wrinkle I just learned Friday from my lawyer;but it's all good).
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

great stuff Mike ..you really made my day.......an excellent example of one day at a time, one foot in front of another.......its all doable.....proven right here.....be well and enjoy your lunch!!!