# 21 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Coping.org: Tools for Coping with Life's Stressors

The SEA's Tools for a Recovery Lifestyle

Thought Stopping in Recovery

Content:

* What is thought stopping?
* How does thought stopping work?
* What are some thought stopping techniques?
* Irrational thinking which blocks you from letting thought stopping work for you
* Directions for thought stopping

What is thought stopping?

Thought stopping is the:

Process by which you are able to cease dwelling on a thought bothersome to you.:p> :p>
Procedure used to stop thoughts that are cues to acting impulsively or compulsively.:p> :p>
Process by which you are able to break the power of the cues that lead you into addictive or binge-like behavior.:p> :p>
Substitution of a healthy thought for an unhealthy thought.:p> :p>
Act of deliberately turning to cues that break unhealthy patterns or habits.:p> :p>
Ability to discontinue obsessing on an idea, image, thought, fear or stimuli that is a cue for unhealthy behavior.:p> :p>
Practice of using mental energy in a positive way.:p> :p>
Technique used to reduce the negative impact of stress, unhealthy emotional cues, and fears.:p> :p>
Stress-reduction technique that eliminates the overwhelming impact of stress and/or crisis events.

How does thought stopping work?

In thought stopping you could use one of the following or a combination of them::p> :p>

Replace one thought for another, i.e., the thought of eating is replaced by the thought of exercising.:p> :p>
Hear "stop'' literally or figuratively whenever a negative or unhealthy thought arises, e.g., the desire for a cigarette appears and "stop'' is immediately heard.:p> :p>
Are able to break an obsessive, unhealthy thought pattern by substituting a healthy thought pattern.:p> :p>
Are able to replace a negative or unhealthy image with a positive visual image.:p> :p>
Find you divert or detour your mind from unhealthy or negative thoughts.:p> :p>
Clear your mind of all unnecessary and unhealthy thoughts that create stress or cues for acting out in unhealthy ways.:p> :p>

What are some thought stopping techniques?:p> :p>

Thought Replacement: when an unwanted thought enters, immediately replace the thought with a healthy, rational one.
Yelling 'Stop'': on thinking the unwanted thought, immediately yell STOP. The yell can be out loud or only in the mind. Continue to yell STOP until the unwanted thought ceases.
Substituting a Healthy Thought Pattern: if you have a tendency to think irrationally due to irrational beliefs, you can develop a rational pattern of thinking by challenging every thought that comes to mind, asking: Is this a rational thought? If not, what is irrational about it? What would be a rational replacement for this thought?
Replacement Visual Image: if you have a tendency to visualize negative images, replace these negative images by positive, healthy images.
Aversive Replacements: if you have a tendency to think of an unhealthy behavior in an acceptable manner, immediately replace these acceptable images with more honest images, i.e., thoughts of alcohol, drugs, junk foods can be replaced by the words "poison,'' "unhealthy,'' "disgusting,'' "barf'' or "killers.'' Thoughts of cigarettes can be replaced by "cancer sticks'' or "coffin nails.''
Irrational thinking which blocks you from letting thought stopping work for you

It's OK if I just think about it and do nothing about it.:p> :p>
What's the harm of thinking about it?:p> :p>
People will never know if I just think about it for a little while.:p> :p>
I've denied myself so much, why can't I just think about it once in a while?:p> :p>
You can't condemn me for thinking.:p> :p>
I never thought about it before I acted so why should I avoid thinking about it now?:p> :p>
It is too much of a battle to fight these thoughts. It's easier to give in and then start over again in the morning.:p> :p>
What difference does it make if I think about it?:p> :p>
It seems so silly to control my mind from having thoughts about it.:p> :p>
This feels like brainwashing and I think brainwashing is bad.:p> :p>
I don't have time to do this.:p> :p>
I don't need this in order to be successful in achieving recovery.:p> :p>
This is another far-out psychological gimmick-too stupid to try.:p> :p>

Directions for thought stopping

First: Use relaxation training and breathing exercises to get yourself relaxed. It is important that you be at ease to stop a recurring thought.:p> :p>
Second: Record the word stop in alternating 1, 2, and 3 minute intervals on a 30 minute tape. Using the stop tape in a relaxed state, think your unwanted thought and every time you hear stop, discontinue the thought. Go back to the thought again and cease the thought only when you hear stop. Do this for 30 minutes every night for two weeks or until you can consistently discontinue the thought when you hear stop.:p> :p>
Third: After you are trained to arrest your thought using the stop tape, you are ready to try arresting your thought by yelling stop out loud. Think of your unwanted thought for 30 minutes and yell stop to discontinue the thought. Once you arrest the thought, go back to thinking about it for awhile, then yell stop again. Do this for 30 minutes each night for two weeks or until you are able to consistently discontinue the thought by yelling stop.:p> :p>
Fourth: After you have trained yourself to stop thoughts by yelling stop, you are ready to train your thoughts to end by whispering stop. For thirty minutes, repeat the process of dwelling on your unwanted thought, but this time whisper stop to halt them. Do this 30 minutes nightly for two weeks or until you are able to consistently discontinue the thought by whispering stop.:p> :p>
Fifth: After you have trained yourself to discontinue unwanted thoughts by whispering stop, you are ready to train your thoughts to discontinue by thinking the word stop. Repeat the process of dwelling on your thought for 30 minutes, but this time simply think stop to discontinue unwanted thoughts. Do this for 30 minutes nightly for two weeks or until you are able to consistently discontinue unwanted thoughts by thinking the word stop.:p> :p>
Sixth: The technique of either taping, yelling, whispering, or thinking stop can be effective in discontinuing unwanted thoughts. Ideally you could get to the point where simply thinking stop would work; however, use whichever mode works best for you and keep practicing. Remember to start the process in a relaxed state.

*Hope today is better for you Pineapple*
Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank u for that. I try doing that sometimes. Today i was so close to calling.....and I picked up a book (book that helps u cope with break ups)...and then i started ironing my clothing that have been in a ball at the end of my bed for about a week. now i am here..trying to fight off the urge once again.

I dunno... i keep dwelling on how well i was doing and how low i got knocked down.

U say "deliberately turn your mind to a time when you did well, and dwell on it."

what used to work for me is my vacation to mexico. That was when i felt most successful because i worked hard all year round to get there. that same resort I have been to 2 times already is now ruined. that was the only thing i could think of and totally escape..... now when i think of that i get heated and angry and over and over i feel the carpet being swiped out from under me.. so even the thought of the place is RUINED?! ....its so messed!!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

try not to let him ruin the resort for you - don't let him win. go back next year with a friend, or a few, and make new memories to replace the ones you have of the trip this year.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just keep taking things one second at a time right now. Understand that you are human and that you will go back and forth. You are going to have more bad moments than good, more weak moments than strong and the next few days will be hard, excruciatingly so. BUT.....

Keep taking one breath at a time.....keep putting one foot in front of the other....make yourself do those two things....and before you know it, these seconds will turn into minutes....and then suddenly you'll be able to go an hour without thinking about all this....and then you will find you go a half day without it...and then a day...and then you'll find when you do think about it, it doesn't hurt like this...

It's a process. There's no other way to get through it than to just face it head on and march right through it. It's not easy...it takes time....but YOU WILL HEAL! AND YOU WILL MAKE IT. Right now you are in that tunnel and you can't see the light at the end of it...but trust me, everyone here will tell you there is light at the end of it...and you will get there.....

As the old REO Speedwagon song says "Keep Pushin On"