A mother searching for answers

Old 08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I welcome you to a place of recovery and support, I want to share my experience strength and hope with you...First my past...There is not one person in my family that has not been in the grips of addiction to either drugs or alcohol...My parents both alcoholics, my siblings all addicts,I married an alcoholic, and my children both addicts. I am a co-dependant and was sicker than they were until I finally made a choice to seek my own recovery.With God, His Love, His strength,His Grace, I am learning to trust that I can get through any challenge or disapointment.What I learned in al-anon saved my life! I can-not save others ,but I can be an example by seeking my own recovery. My mother drank and traumatized 5 children, we saw a lot of violence and I remember crying and begging my mother to stop drinking. She never did stop until she was put in prison for ten years for pulling a kitchen knife on a policeman when he was responding to a domestic dispute...I made it through...
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hey Sunshine.. How are things going?

I talked with my family today.. I apologized for all the times I have not been there.. told them that I was just as sick as my AS.. but, that I am NOW seeking help..

I asked that they would understand and give me a chance..

I only got their answer machine.. but hopfully its a start and they will know I really mean it.. I understand if they don't.. I cant tell you how many times I have said before; "I will be there, your brother is doing great, your brother is SICK.. you need to understand"..

Yea, if I had been honest with myself and them it would have been a different story!

Anyway, my kids have no reason to belive me.. and I guess I have to understand the "beep" of their answering machine, instead of hearing their voice... I mean I now know I hurt them.. It has to be such a betrayal that I gave so much to my AS and neglected them so much..

Anyway.. I was not wanting to vent.. but to check on you.. it seems from our post, we are more alike then we would want to admit...

Hope you are doing well, I am in alonon and plugging along.. (praying to repair the damage I have done)