peeing

Old 07-24-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

peeing

I have a question on how far or how sick my ah could be. He pees constantly almost every time he drinks while he sleeps. In the last week this has happened a couple times. He doesn't get embarrassed about it. Makes no big deal about it. I'm wondering if there is something starting to go wrong with his health. Last year when he had a physical the doctor said his liver was fine. Has anyone had this happen to their A in their life?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Has anyone had this happen to their A in their life?
More times than I care to remember. My AH has always done this, even in the very early days when he just drank "a bit too much" on the weekends.

Oh the perks of living with an alcoholic...cleaning up their urine!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ICU

From what I have read here, it's not uncommon.

My ex would at least make an attempt to find 'the bathroom door' and try to open it. Unfortunately, the door he would select would be to the linen closet, the winter clothes storage closet, the front door leading to the hallway of our apartment complex (thank G no one saw him do this or we would have been evicted for sure), etc. Sometimes the couch he passed out on was just as good as any other place! As I'm sure you can imagine, my laundry detergent supply constantly had to be replaced.

When told about his behavior the following morning he would just shrug it off as if it were nothing.

I don't know what in particular this behavior indicates, besides the obvious 'drank too much to know what they're doing' kind of thing. Maybe someone else can shed a little light!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

Could be several things,
1. He drank too much and passed out with a full blatter.
2. He drank too much and didn't get to the bathroom in time because his judgment is gone.
3. This could be a sign that his prostate is inlarged.
4. This could be a sign of diabetes.

Is it a case that he is wetting himself a lot or just needing to go to the bathroom a lot. In our house I live with hospital pee jugs in the bedroom at night and the bathroom soaking during the day. I hate those things! Seems like he gets them in the bathroom and puts water in them and leaves them sitting in the tub for me to remove. I like to take a bath sometimes but I hate to have to clean it before I get in because I know he dumped pee down the drain and had that nasty thing sitting there.
Yuck!
D
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Even if one empties the bladder (in the bathroom) before passing out, the kidneys will refill it and the bladder will simply empty itself in a passed out drunk person. I think the urge to pee may either be supressed by alcohol and/or not strong enough to motivate the drunk to find the bathroom. Being intoxicated one may not even care about the bathroom but rather to simply relieve oneself. Another possibility (and I don't recall the exact possible mechanism) is that alcohol may depress bladder sphincter tone thus countering the normal failsafe in place.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is not uncommon at all. My exABF drinks till he loses all body functions.
Many a morning I found him on the floor in a pool of urine having just slid off his computer chair. If he made it to bed, he would pee and then try to say I did it, even though the **** was on his side of the bed. Pretty freaking rude.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fortunately, I have not had to endure this 1st-hand but it reminded me of a problem we had with my son for a few years when he was young. He is such a sound sleeper (passed-out alkie would qualify,too!) that he would sleep in his sleep without knowing it,too. Flood out the bed and just keep sleeping in wet pj's,sheets,blankets,etc.... Luckily,he out-grew it (I think and hope!) and equally lucky for me,I was in a different bed. Still created lots and lots of laundry.

Good luck.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for all your replies. It's so nice to know that I am not alone in this bedwetting think (actually couch wetting problem). I am forever washing the sofa. I remember one time he peed on me in bed, I was soaked, I got up and woke him up and he was mad at me. For what, I don't know. I certainly didn't pee the bed. How could I pee myself on my back and my pants were dry. Oh well, today this site is definately helping me today.

Thanks all!!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I't is because he's DRUNK.When I got very drunk I would pee on anything if I was dreaming I was in the mens room with those dividers then something was getting peed on.I had been sober many years and my wife would wake up everytime I got up and say make sure you go to the bathroom.Yeah and it is embarassing and disgusting.I'll bet when they are sober they dont **** all over the bed and bedroom.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This happened to my AH for the first time(that I know of) the other night. On the side of my daughters crib in our bedroom. I hate him.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Educating myself about the effects of alcohol on the body, especially in an alcoholic, helped me stop taking it personally. It also replaced contempt with compassion.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

tired of this mess - I hear ya!!!! I really am beginning to hate him. Even though I say how much of a good guy he is when he is sober and I think I love him but that is just short lived. It's sick to pee on your daughters crib.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Imagine drink wasn't involved. What would you think and do then?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by veryregretful View Post
It's sick to pee on your daughters crib.
Yes, it is. I doubt it is deliberate and would not happen if alcohol wasn't involved. The question always come back to - what do I want for MY life? I cannot stop someone else from picking up the bottle, drinking it, and peeing on my daughter's crib. So, I ask myself, "what can I do?" and then try to do it.

Good luck and take good care of you.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The peeing was one of my breaking points. He'd done it for years, but it just kept happening more and more often. I've said it here before, but the morning I moved out, he'd peed on the couch three of the past four nights, gotten up to pull off his wet shorts, and passed back out. So leaving for work, I was greeted with a naked butt passed out in a cushion soaked in pee.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

this is one of those "you have to be living it, to understand" topics..

k
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
this is one of those "you have to be living it, to understand" topics..

k
I lived it, that's for sure.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Or have lived it perhaps.

My ex used to pee himself during the day, particularly in the car. He only got the chance to do that once in mine, then I refused to allow him to use it. And if I drove his, I put a towel on the seat - who wants stale urine on their clothes? And from that point on, I lost a huge chunk of respect for him, tbh.

Surprisingly, given his lack of bladder control during the day, there was never a problem at night. If he had peed the bed, I (or he) would have moved into the spare room and got plastic undersheets for the bed. Minimum.

I always said that I wouldn't clean up after him, but I understand that is tricky when it's a child's things or somewhere you want to sit as well. I'm not sure I could ever choose to live in those conditions.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My AH only did this once, years ago on vacation (was ashamed and horrified too), if he did it again that would be a final straw for me, I just could not deal with it and there is no way I could have it going on around our son.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After he peed the bed I literally slept on the couch to see how long it would take him to wash the blankets, sheets, mattress, etc. I was a week and finally I couldn't take sleeping on the couch anymore so of course I washed all the bedding and the mattress. They do suffer no consequences. We'll always be there to take care of them or not!