View Poll Results: Do you work outside the home?
Yes, full-time
71.85%
Yes, part-time
11.85%
No
16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Are you financially independent?

Old 11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I am financially independent as long as my employment holds, my health remains so that I can perform my job, and as long as the interest rates on my second mortgage ( my planned income for retirement) doesn't get too high.

I have worked since I was 15yrs old or to put it another way "been socially productive". That isn't to say that being a mother and raising children, which in our current system isn't a paid job, isn't socially productive, it is THE essential job. It isn't recognised as such in financial terms by our system though.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Self-employed and financially independent. I work both in and outside the home.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Did the right thing

YES!!

I worked for the gov't for 10 years. Then left for 4 and sold insurance. Then begged God to let me have my job back. Got it, plus the seniority and salary. Thank GOD!

While living off my ex-bf for the 4 years, I saw how resentful he became. I wasn't getting up with him, I was sleeping late, was home when he got in, nice and warm during the winters. Granted, I didn't do much cold calling in the first 2 years, so I appeared to be using him. After he kept micromanaging me, I decided to go back to the workforce. He found out that my old job had an opening, so I applied and got it back!

With the grace of God, I'll never live off anyone again.

I also started a part time home business with a network marketing company. I've tried others, but this one relates to my life and experiences! Not only do I believe in it, but it's helping me out of a situation. So, home businesses should be about something you can connect with, and have your own story about, not just something that makes sense, seems sellable and can make you a lot of money. Been there, done that, and they don't make a lot of money (unless you have a bunch of entrepreneur friends who are with you all the way).

Nothing beats focus. And having a plan. And not letting distractions get in your way. You have to guard your goals.

Good luck!

Ready!8
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

No and it's awful! I have MS and am on SSDI; but that is no where near enough to be independent of anything! I'm still planning on leaving...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Between student loans, part-time work, and savings I am happy to say that I eat, sleep, and breathe today without any reliance on a man (except for Uncle Sam - my student loans are federal!)

When I made the decision to live apart from my AH, I decided that it would be best to end my financial dependence on him. Despite the drastic blow to my budget, it is a choice that I am proud of and one that I believe will bring me lasting peace and security.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I am financially ok, as long as the Aussie government can afford to pay my age pension. Have all my own furniture and don't need to upgrade or replace any of that for a while yet.

Have just gone halves in a car, and have bus service at my door, so am reasonably independent.

My XAH took a fair bit out of our joint savings account, and when he retired he had his superannuation cheque paid into HIS bank account and I got zilch from it. When this happened I walked out, with my personal stuff and everything I had paid for with MY money. He lost TV, stereo, microwave, fridge, beds, dining and lounge suites, washing machine, most of the linen, kitchen implements, and new car. He bought cheap replacements and drank the rest of his money down the drain. His choice/my choice.

I am an aged pensioner and am waiting to move into a seniors unit in the near future. That will cut my rent from $230 a week to $105, and make life even more comfortable. I just finished pre-paying my funeral so I get what I want and no hassles for my kids when the time comes, also it won't cost any more than I have already paid, even if in 10, 20 or 30 years time.

I love being in control of my money, and tho I have "helped" ABF many times in the past, he has never missed paying me back all he owed me. This option is no longer available to him if he relapses and drinks himself broke.

I would urge every woman to have her "special account" and put regular cash into it, even $5 a week is something. To know there is at least some cash you can use if it is necessary can save a lot of the worry at a bad time.

God bless
Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I've worked since I was 18, and have had the same job now for 20 years. Since I broke out on my own, I really love paying my own bills..I mean right away. My kids think I'm goofy but I send them off with in an hour of getting them. Makes me feel more independent and I love that!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Aweda, what price is your petrol over there? We have been paying around $1.50 a litre, ($6.75 a gallon) here until last 2 weeks. Filled up last Friday and cost me $60, sheez!!! as now $1.10 litre ($4.95 gall). My rent has gone from $140 to $230 week over past 3 years and no doubt when lease is up next month will rise another $20. Our hike is caused by all the coal mines around here, and the miners paying top price for housing for their families. They earn around $2000 or more a week, so can offer landlords higher rent than those in "ordinary" jobs or on pensions. Compared to lots of people I am lucky and grateful for what I have, tho at times I tighten my belt and ignore my rumbling tum.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

Funnily enough, I just came across this website for those of us in the UK or those who shop online at UK stores :Voucher Codes - Exclusive Discount Codes and Discount Vouchers