Change name of this site?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

Change name of this site?

I, for one, would like to see this forum renamed as codependent support or something else.

I am no longer a "friend or family" of an alcoholic and would still like to continue to post.

All of you are GREAT!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have found this site if it had been named something else.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Well, since your posts continue to be about "him" I would say he is still a friend.

This forum is about people who need help and support to find themselves, and, I too, never would have found it, if it was named something else.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

just speaking for myself - no matter what happens between ah and me i will always consider him as part of my family - and hopefully he can be a friend.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's only a name, not a set of rules. Many of us have discontinued our relationship with the alcoholic who brought us here. Doesn't mean we aren't still affected by them/it.

L
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

There are many of us here, like myself, who always did and always will think of our former alcoholic partners as friends and family. I never stopped loving or liking Richard. He never intentionally caused me pain. It was his disease and my inability to set healthy boundaries that brought me pain.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While I understand your reasons for wanting the name of the forum changed, I have no problem with the name. I am no longer married to my xah - but his drinking did affect me and it will do so for the rest of my life as it changed me.
Also, as was mentioned above - many of us come to this place when we are friends, family, co-workers, etc of an A. It is then that the name catches our attention - it is the name that brings us here. In that respect, I'd like to keep the name.

But really, I do understand how you feel. There have been times along the way, I didn't like things like that either for similar reasons that you list.
But now - I don't mind. It's not the name of the forum that catches my attention now - it's the members here and my own recovery.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
gns

OK, then. I am clearly out-voted.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Glad we could be of service.

Opps! Sorry read your post wrong.

Out -dash- voted

Thought you were leaving.

There are many who come here that are no longer in the middle of things. Some show up to share with others so to give back.
The intent is support for others. The name is but a name.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If it helps you,what difference does it matter to you what the name is? It is a general category.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i also don't think everyone here would classify themselves as codependent... and i think more advice and experience is dispensed here that doesn't always relate to codependency. i can see what you mean, gns, but i don't think there will ever be a day that i would stop calling my ex a friend or a family member, even though we are no longer a part of each other's lives.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There's also the matter of the search engines. If we change the name then folks who find links to us in the search engines will not be able to connect to us. They'll wind up in nowhere-land, get a "file not found" error.

Mike
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

gns,

There are alot of sites with forums like this that deal stricky about codependency. I'm sure you can find one and then post at both.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Change the name, that seems silly
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Maybe Family forum.....becuase everyone here has been that to me!~ I'm not sure how I would have made it this far without everyone....
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We come here as the family or friend of an alcoholic and discover the beautiful secret within this forum....the discovery of new options and opportunities...new friends and family ; )

The name is the title that invites us here when we most need it.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
gns

I don't if it was meant this way, but some of these responses seem harsh.
I am not implying that we/you remove the A from our lives, my only intention was to expand the scope of this site.

There are forums on this site for people with eating disorders, etc. I thought it would be nice to have a codependent site as well. Maybe not changing the name of this particular forum, but adding another.

It would be nice to be able to talk about things like taking on too much responsibility at work, or codependency in friendship, not just about the A in my life - Advice that all of you have given me in this situation anyway.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You can talk about all of that stuff here, gns. In fact, I would urge you to do so. We have had a lot of newcomers recently and I know from my own experience that I came here to find help for him, yet I stayed because I could talk about my stuff.

To me, this forum is about recovery. MY recovery. Recovery from the effects of being involved with a drinker and recovery from the stuff that led me into that relationship in the first place.

There have been many times that I have wanted the world around me to change to make me feel more comfortable. I am far less frustrated now that I have learned to not only take what I like and leave the rest, but also to focus on the positives of a situation rather than the negatives and how they should be changed. I'd rather look at how I can be the change I wish to see in the world (thanks, Ghandi!).

How's about starting a thread on some of things you wish to talk about and see what happens?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi gns,,
Im with you!!!!.
A codependant form, as well as this one,sounds good to me,too...
Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
gns

Thank you minnie, grasshopper, standingstrong and inthisforme for your kind words.