Change name of this site?

Old 07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
If the biggest problem I have today is the name of this or any forum..."Thank You God".

You read my mind! (and that should scare you a bit,Ann! haha)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

gns,
I would love to see a co-dependancy/personal growth forum added. I have other co-dependent issues other than with my RAH, it would be nice to discuss them there. But I still need my Friends and Family of A site!!! Hope others agree since there really are no co-dependent forums out there, I've checked.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenteree View Post
gns,
I would love to see a co-dependancy/personal growth forum added. I have other co-dependent issues other than with my RAH, it would be nice to discuss them there.
So why not discuss them here? In the time I have been visiting this forum, many, many issues have been discussed. My recovery has taken a lot of twists and turns, and several (maybe most) of them had nothing to do with my AH.

L
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think I see my recovery so separate from AH that I don't understand this debate.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by queenteree View Post
gns,
I would love to see a co-dependancy/personal growth forum added. I have other co-dependent issues other than with my RAH, it would be nice to discuss them there. But I still need my Friends and Family of A site!!! Hope others agree since there really are no co-dependent forums out there, I've checked.
http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/Bb...&DateSelect=-5

HTH!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

My loved one is a drug addict- he has abused alcholic at times, but this was never the MAJOR problem- but I find many posts on the Alcoholic page to be EXTREMELY helpful- as someone said earlier- there really is not a set of rules.

I also believe codependency is its own disease- for me it is a sense of disowning the self- emotionally, psychologically - even physically sometimes. For me to see this as MY disease - it makes me relate to something concrete. I think that everyone can view it differently- but for me it is the set of dysfunctional responses and behaviors that are interfereing with me living my life sanely, rationally and happily.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

This forum is for those who have been affected by someone else's drinking. There are more issues surrounding that simple sentence than you can shake a stick at and codependent traits may be part of that.

I am failing to understand why people don't feel comfortable with posting about those issues unless they are on a forum devoted specifically for that issue. It reminds me of a game we used to play at uni where we tried to come up with the most ridiculously named support group - I think the Adopted Cornish Lesbian Dyslexic Single Parent Tomato-Addict Pebble Allergy Sufferers support group won.

Perhaps the purpose of this forum has been misunderstood. As Denny says, my recovery has nothing to do with my qualifier. Information about the effects of drinking and abusive behaviour are important, I believe, however they are only really useful to break out of denial. Then the real work starts.

So, to all of you who would like to see an additional forum, I challenge you to prove that it is needed by starting the kind of threads you would wish to see on there. I think you will be surprised. There are many who were once loyal and valuable members here who have left because of the continual focus on the drinker. Perhaps it is simply a shift in focus that is required, rather than another forum. We can all be a force for change if we are prepared to put in the leg (or finger) work.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Oops - I mean, thanks, Minnie!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Just another ickle thought. I have always found it puzzling that groups are formed in relation to the qualifier's drug of choice, rather than the relationship to the qualifier. I would have thought that parents of a drinker and a coke addict have far more in common than a mother and husband of a drinker, for example. I know that I am often lost for words to respond to a parent or sibling on this forum, yet relate so easily to the spouses on the nar-anon board.