Here are my two pennies on the media

Old 05-19-2003, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Thumbs down Here are my two pennies on the media

I was reading the post in media and messing with peoples mind and I totally agree. What really gets me and messed me up growing up was Cosmopolitan Magazine. That is the guide book to codependency (sp?)(can't think today) If you ever pick one up, it is still the same....how to get a guy to notice you, how to keep your man, are you compatible? The only message I got out of it was you have to change who you are in order for someone to like you....What A Big Fat CROCK! What is really awful is who they are targeting ....teenage girls. That magazine totally plays on the insecurities that teen girls have to sell their issue.
Okay....I'm done. I am turning my box right side up and putting my soap back in it. Just had to get that off my chest.

and that ends this broadcast of "Disgruntled Alice Under Land"

Thanks!
giggles

alicewunderland:o
Old 05-19-2003, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So true!!!!
Old 05-19-2003, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Now I think it's up to 6 cents

I agree totally with you about the media, I have been unhappy with it for 20 years or more...

AND IT'S NOT JUST GIRLS ANYMORE EITHER....

It's really hard to raise childern today and have them learn that your not WHAT you wear or how you wear your hair....

I'd love to rent a billboard in every town that asked the question;

HOW MUCH OF ME DO I HAVE TO GIVE UP TO BE LOVED BY YOU?

I am glad you have a soap box too.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay y'all....I agree with this fashion crap! My 11 year old daughter went to spend the weekend with my father and his "lovely" wife. They took her shopping and when she got home she didn't even show me what was in the bags. I let it go for the moment but after they left and she went to take her bath I went in and found that they had bought her these up the crotch shorts and a babydoll shirt that read: I love boys. I love Boys. I love Boys. and They Love ME! Oh no! I flipped my lid and all my daughter could say was that it was in style and everyone has one except for her. I told her that I didn't even give a rat's butt what everyone else was wearing she wasn't going to wear that mess and those shorts were a waste of money as well.

Having a soon to be teen I am really feeling the wrath of these magazines and the fashion JUNK! Our kids think that they have to be super thin with huge boobs and wear clothes that show every curve! NOT IN MY HOUSE!

2many2count
Old 05-20-2003, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

I feel ya sister!

2many and Daf,

It is times like these that I am glad I have 2 boys that are still little ones.....I don't think I could handle a girl. I went through that phase in my teens, I don't think they realize what they look like when they dress like that! I mean really look like! What was your Xhubby thinking! I would think because he was her Dad he would have went to the other extreme. I remember in high school I used to put my purse in back of me to cover my behind when I walked through the hall. I always thought I would look a lot better if I just lost 5 - 10 lbs.!!! I look back at those pictures and laugh....I looked fine! I would like to announce that as I have progressed I have learn to love my booty and that it is actually one of my better assetts(sp...no pun intended). My husband loves it! I agree that it doesn't only include females but that males are targeted as well. I guess its hard for me to see though because I am not one. I will have to open my eyes....anyway thanks!

Alice "I have learned to love my big ***" Wunderland
:p :
Old 05-20-2003, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It was even worse for those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's, when it was ALL ABOUT pleasing your man. The "how to" books told us to put away with aprons and make ourselves pretty to meet him at the door.

Today, my man, is usually home before me and cooks. I don't own an apron, and "pretty" is something I do for myself, not for anyone else.

Something I find ironic - my generation was the first "liberated" generation and we fought hard and costly battles to get the world to accept us as people and not just sexual objects; to see us for our minds, our hearts and our deeds, not just our bodies.

Well we have come full circle, because I see many of today's media mentors teaching young women that it is all about showing bodies and sexuality, with very little ever written about values. Personally, I don't spend my money on them, but obviously someone does or they wouldn't be still printing that stuff.

So I guess it is up to US to teach the next generation what is really important in life and what is not.