Help! I'm at my wits end!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Charlie, and Welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear all you have been through with your wife. I can tell you that many of us here understand that 'I'm shot' feeling all to well.

Please make yourself at home here.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello to a fellow Georgian .....when is the cold weather leaving????

Bitter, I empathize with you very much - its a terrible situation when you feel like you have no control over your life and that the A is the one driving the boat.

You don't have control of your life because she IS the one driving, you have allowed her to.

You don't have to live like this. You do have options and choices. Getting an Umbrella Policy is probably a good idea yet is is just one more thing you are having to do in order to protect the family so the alcoholic CAN CONTINUE TO DRINK in your household.

Its very hard to get someone committed. Its highly unlikely that even if you did it would help the situation long term. The decision for an addict to quit has to come from them, not from circumstances forced upon them. Next time she chokes, or passes out, or puts herself in harm's way (or someone else) you should call 911 regardless of her indicating not to. Covering up, cleaning up, and managing the alcoholics MESS are codependent and enabling behaviors that assist the Alcoholic and their addiction.

Al Anon would be a great place for you. I highly encourage you to start there. Educating yourself about the disease is very eye opening as well, stay on here - post often.

So sorry for this (((hugs))).
Old 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is a really old thread, guys. Bitter last posted in 2003- I wonder how he's doing?

Charlie, could you start a new thread? You'll get much support about dealing with your alcoholic wife.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks hydrogirl and hopeful mom. I started a new thread on this.