stay or go...why did you?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stay or go...why did you?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has been able to stay with their A that isn't in recovery. Or if you did leave at what point did you realize that you needed to leave? Anyone want to share some ESH?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
full of hope

That's an interesting question, TM. I stayed with my AH for 12 years even though he denied he was an alcoholic, refused treatment and was a nightmare. The reason I finally left was because in Feb. he turned violent. Not that he hadn't been violent before but he had never hit me before. Of course he started that in Feb and took until May before I left.
But, I knew that first night in Feb. that I had to leave.

You know what I still have a hard time understanding is that if he had never abused me physically I would still be there. I would have never left.

That makes me sad and angry.
I still love him and I still want to be with him but I can't--that makes me sad.
Knowing what he did to me all those years. Knowing how bad it was when it didn't have to be--that makes me angry.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I left because of mental and physical abuse.
He punched me...I left.
I also took our mutual money
from the bank on my way out of town...

I suggest you make a list of reasons
pro and con
so you can have clairty.

Blessings
Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Let Go Let God

it took me a long time to make him leave . he was always a happy drunk , life of the party . never was obviously drunk or stumbling , was never abusive either physically or mentally . Over 10 years there was probably 3 times where his drinking started keeping him out late at nght and then he would cut down (never quit because he was never an alcoholic) But that last 6 - 9 months before he went to his first rehab he changed . he got meaner and more arrogant . I learned later he was doing drugs .
It was a whole year later and his 4th rehab that my 10 yr old daughter asked me 'why was God doing this to us again , why is daddy back in the hospital' and then it hit me . I wasnt doing enough to protect my kids . I was still doing the dance. He lives with his mom now
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

I made the decision to end my marriage when it finally became obvious to me that my exah had become a man who I could never believe or trust again, and that I had gradually lost all sense of who I was because I was so focused on him.

I really can't explain it except to say that I hit my bottom and knew it was either get away from him or die (not necessarily die physically, but in every other way...).

This post basically describes what I felt then:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ain-stops.html

It hasn't been easy but it has been the best thing I ever did for myself and my kids.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting that link, Duet.

"The Pain Stops: when your longing for them gets slowly replaced by a desire to get away,"

No amount of detaching in ABF's presence could remove this niggling awareness that I felt physically ill-at-ease around him both when he had been drinking and when that short-temperedness pre-first drink of the day was setting in. There was a booze-free "window" each day which I always wanted to hold close. Of course, I now understand from reading these forums that many of his physiological problems (upset stomach, vomiting) early in the morning were linked to the drinking of the night before.

ABF never became physically abusive but.....drunks get a look in their eye which is glazed and scarey. I didn't know what he might be thinking. In any event, I found the "look" emotionally abusive.

ARL
Old 06-30-2007, 05:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Originally Posted by ARealLady View Post
drunks get a look in their eye which is glazed and scarey. I didn't know what he might be thinking. In any event, I found the "look" emotionally abusive.

I had a nightmares about this "look".

I think my moment was mostly when he said, "I don't think I'm an alcoholic and I should be able to have a few whenever I want to."

He said this almost 2 years after getting his license back after his second DUI.

The thing that reinforced my decision to have no contact with him was when he left a voice message on my cell - "I understand why you could hate me...but maybe I'll hear from you." Sick...real sick.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I had a nightmares about this "look"."

Oh I had seen that "look" other places....other people who had consumed so much alcohol that they were beyond reasoning and probably about to black-out. Jack Nicholson immortalized the "look" in The Shining. With ABF, I would be praying inwardly for him to just go to sleep so that I could stop that feeling of walking on eggshells. It was like I was babysitting him! And who needs that?

ARL
Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I stayed with my AH for 17 years, til he left the family. Now I cringe when I think I'd probably still be there if he hadn't left. He was never physically abusive, but he was so emotionally and verbally cruel that I blocked alot of stuff he's said and done out, and I'm now remembering things I had pushed back in my memory from years ago. Walking on eggshells with a knot in my stomach became normal. I can hardly believe I ever lived that way, and I'm so grateful my HP got me out.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ditto....to what guineapigjude says....like her I stayed for 22 yrs until he left the family...and I remember all too well that "look"....and also I remember how his facial features just seemed to sag like gravity took hold....does anyone remember that? And he had a hair trigger temper in this state....which normally he was never like. The eggshell life is gone for us now and even tho somehow I still long for this abusive life I already feel healed...but then its been 2 years this coming 4th of July. I feel like I've been to war and back...right on the front lines.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I alway knew I would leave when my kids were old enough. Our world started falling about over the past year and a half or so, I began detaching myself. My baby was getting ready to graduate and I wasn't sticking around to continue raising "my son" that would never grow up. I lost myself in this relationship and needed very much to find myself again. He was emotionally unavailable to me for so many years. Everyone else thought I was okay, funny, pretty good person, everybody but him. I started believing all of them instead and decided I had had enough. Of course, when he found out I wanted out, all of a sudden he was ready to clean up. Too little too late. I had fallen out of love too long ago. My mind & heart were already gone. He has stayed clean so far for the past four months, so thank goodness he hadn't fallen off the wagon, and I can't predict the future, so I don't know what's in store for us as a couple. But so much has been said & done, he has turned into someone I don't even know. I don't think he quite knows who he is yet. It's been a very strange ride.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Xah and I were together for about 15 1/2 years. Those years were filled with denial of the seriousness and extent of the problem, alot of mental abuse with some physical abuse. The mind games were just unreal but so chaotic at the time that I didn't even realize half of them. There were fights, heartbreak and lots of tears and pain on my side - lots of anger, remorse, etc. on his but still the cycle continued.
Even after seperating - the merry go round of the game continued to spin for about 3 years.

When we initially seperated, I was sooooo angry! I was at a point where I was filled with anger and had that feeling of having come full circle (as I found myself in a situation I'd been in 15 years before) and realized that I'd gone nowhere but back to where we began.
Then after the 3 years of crap that followed our seperation, I began to really focus on my recovery. Slips and falls came but I finally realized that he wasn't going to change. And I learned to accept that. (Acceptance was a major key) And I realized that I had a choice - I knew that I couldn't save him - but I could save myself. So I chose to save myself.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The pain stopped for me when I realized I didn't particularly like him whether he was drunk or sober, and had no expectations of him being able to meet my needs - he didn't have it to give. I realized I was going to leave when I saw the depth of his deceitfulness and his compulsion to control me. I also realized I wasn't going to fulfill his fantasy of being the "perfect" woman. Shucks, I went and made the fatal mistake in his eyes of being a flawed human being.

I knew I would leave when the anger gave way to annoyance and a feeling of dread having to be in the same house with him. Bottom line: I like who I am, and I like my life more without him than with him.

Barring some miraculous recovery on his part (which I don't logically forsee as happening), I am prepared to leave him when I graduate from college and get a job. If I decide to leave prior to my December graduation, I have a plan in place to do so.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The moment I decided to leave was when I realised that I didn't have another chance left in me. However, the build up to that lightbulb moment was multi-faceted.

Bottom line - I could no longer sacrifice myself at the altar of someone elses issues. I had (and have) enough of my own to deal with and I was finding it hard to stay on track whilst being actively thwarted. Those last few months between starting counselling/attending meetings and leaving almost broke me emotionally.

Life is far from perfect nowadays, however it is immeasureably better than the alternative.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

When i realized that I had given up hope of him ever becoming sober. I read through the threads here and on a similar forum on a different website and saw how other people had gone through the same thing with addicts that I did only for years longer.

At the same time I read "codependent no more" by Melody Beattie and that was a turning point for me. I realised how much I had lost myself and how to set boundries and get out of the situation.

I am much better off now.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

My A was never violent. He was/is well educated, well spoken, well employed, kind. He and I had a thousand conversations over the years about his alcoholism, which he totally acknowledged. He was in therapy the whole time and was honest with his therapist about his drinking. I realize now that the therapy and acknowledgement were actually tools he used to keep drinking. "Look, I'm working on it but it's a DISEASE! Did I mention this thing that happened to me when I was an infant? If that happened to you, you'd drink too!"

After lots of heartbreaking relapses, usually during some expensive and long awaited vacation, I realized that I lived in terror. No, I was not afraid of violence, I was afraid of his drunk driving, of his potential health problems, of the things he said and did when his judgement was bad.

I was sick and tired of coming home to find him drunk having called in to work, of finding the beer cans hidden everywhere, of hearing him snore, of hearing him crapping his brains out every morning with alchohol induced diarrhea. He was also getting hugely fat from all the calories and I was no longer attracted to him.

One day he "lost" the car keys and I had to go to work. After a frantic search they were found in the iginition of the car. He was so drunk the night before that he forgot to remove them and it's a miracle that no one stole the car. By that day I had had enough of his BS to last me a lifetime.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have been dealing with my AH's alcoholism for 17 years now. I think for me things began to change emotionally when our son was born. My focus became raising our baby and his focus remained on the drinking. He was always going out to “watch the game” while I was left to be the responsible parent. He was emotionally unavailable and very selfish. My life revolved around his “game time”. He was part of the family when it was good for him and didn’t interfere with drinking time.

Since he worked nights, we got to feel the aftermath of his drinking when we got home for the day. The mood was often negative with off handed remarks about anything and everything that I just couldn’t bear to hear this day after day. Some of the remarks hurt my son’s feelings and that stuck with me. Over the years my feelings of love became replaced with anger and resentment. In my mind I was preparing to separate for quite a while.

Then I found out about many lies and deception about a “friendship” with another woman who he met at the bar. That was the last straw for me. He moved out 2 months ago and now my home has peace. I still have moments where I feel weak but have to do what is healthy for me and my son.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

stay or go..why did you?

I haven't left yet, but my plans are to go.

ABF went into detox for the first time in his life when he became involved with me. He refuses any programs as they are "cults" in his mind and will not become a "Bible thumping, chain smoking, coffee addict who has to preach to the world his wisdom on one knee to the world."

In the two years I have been with him, he has also abused me in every category and tells me he does so because I matter more than anyone else in the world to him.

I am suggesting that we attend counseling together as a last assurance to me that I am doing what is best for me. I also go to a counselor just for me. I don't see how he can change.. he lacks character and skills to do that, but I am making sure because it will help me fully let go when the time comes.

I have detached so much from all the good things I felt in the beginning because they have been replaced by so much bad and damage to me. I didn't know about the disease as up close and personal before him so I got a crash course.

He has regained his health but his mind is forever affected by over 30 years of alcohol and drug abuse (that part was before knowing me.) I can see no hope because any "healthy changes" he has made has (he quit smoking too because it makes me ill but it was a huge struggle for him to understand it was a neccesity not control on my part), come after fights to the death of parts of me and I have no faith that they are real or would last. His lying and sneaking behind my back when he doesn't agree with me to do as he pleases has taken my ability to trust him out of the picture.

Words roll off his tongue easily but his actions speak another language entirely.

I hope he can really make and keep beneficial changes for his life for his sake. As of right now, I can't see myself staying with him for the rest of my life. I am working on safely leaving so he can't find or contact me as he has vowed to never let me go, ever, no matter what I do.

I have worked too hard on my issues all my life to let the final word about me be his influence on my life. His life is up to him. He's on his ninth life with me and I doubt he will ever own that no matter how much time goes by.

I know that it is not the person he is with that is the problem, he would do the same to any woman. He can't appreciate and nurture hmself let alone another person. It's sad but it's reality.

I applaude all who have gotten the courage to do what is in their higher good and pray that everyone who is facing the same questions will find their strength to do the same for themselves.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
let it grow!

my ex became mentally and physically abusive as his alcoholism progressed. i left for my and my daughter's safety. and sanity. blessings, k
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I left because I was mentally and physically wiped out. I had to take care of an infant, hold a full time job, because AH already lost his job by then and was too busy drinking, and come home every night feeling on the verge of vomiting, because I didn't know what was on the other side of the door. He often woke up when I returned home from work at 6. The house would be a huge mess with wine stains everywhere, AH would invent delusional (truly) stories that he believed were true, and then he would lock himself in the spare bedroom where he would watch movies all night and get so drunk that he would start throwing himself against the walls and moan so loud that it woke me up. Then he would wake me up countless times--mind you, I already didn't have any sleep with our baby--so by the time morning arrived, I felt like walking death. That in itself was enough for me to leave.