How About Those Beer/Booze Commercials?

Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

How About Those Beer/Booze Commercials?

Hi All,
RAH and I were sitting home watching TV last night, and a Checkers commercial came on. RAH loves Checkers hamburgers and said "wow, I could really go for Checkers right now" Since we had already eaten, he's thinking about getting some for lunch today. Anyway, later on, they had a beer commercial on with someone putting bottles of beer on ice. RAH didn't think a thing of it (maybe cause he doesn't drink that brand), but I brought up the subject of how they banned cigarette commercials and smoking on TV, how come they don't ban alcohol commercials. I said that there could be many recovering A's out there who see those commercials and those beers and/or rum/vodka looks so good, they wind up thinking about it over and over, till they get some. He said he thought I had a good point, but didn't think they would ever ban it. He told me I should try to write to someone about it. What do you all think? Should those commercials be banned? After all, cigarettes are addicting and bad for your health, and alcohol can be addicting and bad for your health, and cause many DWI accidents/fatalities to boot.
QT
Old 06-29-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I couldnt agree more. My absolute fav...is that they tax smokers more and more each and every year because they can. Why not tax the alcohol industry too? I believe it is equally damaging to society as we all have to live with the consequences of drunks in one way or another.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a real hard time blaming any outside circumstance for my lack of self control. There are plenty of people who can enjoy a glass of wine or a cold beer without drinking on to blackout (I'm not one of them). We have choices in life and its not up to the government or the media to be "big brother".
As long as a product is legally sold to consenting adults, advertisers have the right to advertise. Choices are the inherent right to individuals.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Alcohol obviously can be bad for your health, but there are plenty of normal people in this world who can drink in moderation.

I'm sure those commercials can be tempting, but the bottom line is there's only one person responsible for my decision to stay sober, and that's me.

I'm in total agreement with Nuudawn on this one.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Astro and Nuudawn,
I smoke, I choose to smoke. I am the only one who can stop smoking. Same premise as drinking. I am addicted to cigarettes. I actually do know people who smoke socially. So why ban cigarette commercials, etc., but not alcohol commercials? Why do they say that stores putting cigarette signs at kids' eye level is tempting kids to smoke. What about "gloifying" alcohol commercials? Doesn't that tempt kids to think it's "cool" to drink (everybody partying, lots of friends, social scene, etc.). Then some of them have the nerve to say "drink responsibly". Try telling an alcoholic to "drink responsibily." Will they?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

queen, i'm with you on this one.

my ex was sober for a year and relapsed based on the triggers in her environment. they were new friends, the commercials, and seeing people drinking in restaurants. i guess we can't control all of it, but i completely understand how they triggered her relapse. there are often times that i see commercials for something, like a new dish at olive garden or a new sandwich at subway, or whatever, and i keep thinking about how much i want to go there and try it!

so while i can see astro's and nuudawn's point that they are the only ones in charge of their drinking, i can also see how they can trigger relapses for others who are maybe more influenced by their surroundings... i'm not sure they will ever be banned though, too much money is made off of its consumption, unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My reasons to smoke and drink had nothing to do with seeing any ole commercial. I started both those habits with the support of peers. What do we do next? Not let teenagers have friends?
It actually ticked me off when they disallowed tobacco companies from supporting events. Here in Canada, DuMaurier were huge supporters of the Jazz Festival and the stunning Fireworks display each summer in Vancouver. I thought GEEZ..at least before they were contributing something for all they took. The DuMaurier name emblazoned in ads ..did not make me smoke (don't even smoke that brand). I started smoking cuz other kids made it seem cool.... not any commercial or advertisement of any kind.
Here is some real sicko food for thought. I started smoking Export A Mild....when I was going thru a particularly painful breakup... I switched to Player's Light cuz I heard there was fibreglass in the filters ..ya see, I wanted pain I guess (that makes my head spin in hindsight). The fact that Player's had fibreglass in the filters was not advertised..heard that little nugget on the street...where I picked up my other bad habits.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

Well, I have an allergy to wheat and a history of eating disorders. Wheat is one of my trigger foods. If I eat even one piece of bread, Im on a week binge, which makes me sick, but I cant seem to stop myself once I start.
It would be a little helpful if bread and pizza commercials would be banned, but I would still be responsible for my binges. Its not the commercials that make me eat a loaf of French bread, its my wanting it and not caring that its bad for me.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InThisForMe View Post
... and seeing people drinking in restaurants.

With this line of thought... do we also ban people drinking in restaurants?

I think we are all familiar with a work of art entitled "The Last Supper"...where wine is being drunk. Do we ban that too?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by elizabeth1979 View Post
its my wanting it and not caring that its bad for me.

Bingo Elizabeth.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by queenteree View Post
Astro and Nuudawn,
I smoke, I choose to smoke. I am the only one who can stop smoking. Same premise as drinking. I am addicted to cigarettes. I actually do know people who smoke socially. So why ban cigarette commercials, etc., but not alcohol commercials? Why do they say that stores putting cigarette signs at kids' eye level is tempting kids to smoke. What about "gloifying" alcohol commercials? Doesn't that tempt kids to think it's "cool" to drink (everybody partying, lots of friends, social scene, etc.). Then some of them have the nerve to say "drink responsibly". Try telling an alcoholic to "drink responsibily." Will they?
Yes, I'll agree that commercials glorify drinking. I was definitely influenced by them when I was active. But it's been shown that a glass of wine or beer every day can be beneficial to your health. Just one or two, not a case or a few bottles. Can we say the same thing about tobacco? Just my opinion, but those commercials are for the general public, they're not directed at the raging alcoholic.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

oh no, i don't mean we should ban all of these things, nor that we ever will. i just meant that i can see how the commercials would be triggers for those who are in early recovery and who may not be as strong to resist the temptation they find around them everywhere... the restaurants just being an example.

i just cited my ex as an example and i'm sure there are many others across the world. each person is different, and i just meant that just because one person is not affected by these commercials doesn't mean everyone isn't.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Just my opinion, but those commercials are for the general public, they're not directed at the raging alcoholic.
i completely agree... and that's why they will never disappear. my stance is that seeing these commercials can be harder for some to handle... it just shows how lax our society has become as a whole in promoting alcohol use... especially knowing that children and adolecents watch these commercials on a daily basis. i think it's a general belief of our society that drinking is acceptable, and those who make these ads are clearly not thinking about the alcoholics in the world when they do so.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There's some great studies on this in "Beyond the Influence." I think the commercials encourage a lifestyle and mindset that life is far superior when you party. I think they market to very young people to get them started early.

I think alcohol is a drug. Are we, then, as a society willing to air commercials for pot, cocaine and meth. When used in moderation none of those do devastating harm, either.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have thought about this before. The problem with cigarettes is that it's almost 100% addictive, but like others have said there are plenty who can drink in moderation. I do think advertising should be limited to evening broadcasts and adult programming (it is often marketed during sports programming like somehow the two are related. Drinking doesn't enhance any athlete. The spectators might enjoy drinking a beer but they are just as prone to use condems. They do limit condom ads in the same fashion that I would like to see alcohol limited. I'd actually prefer condom ads to alcohol. At least condoms make people more safe KWIM?) ...in addition it shouldn't ever again be marketed in the "Spuds McKenzie" style. Meaning using images that could very well be enticing to young children...IMHO that is just really, really wrong. On a side note, I think shows like Jerry Springer should be aired late evening instead of afternoon too. It's just frustrating to channel surf with my toddler in the room and have to blast past a quick image of women topless while someone else is screaming and throwing a chair. I know what I saw and I know she saw it too.