Caught AW in a lie

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynay View Post
That is it.... I always knew Stephen King was wacked.... Why did I not think of that before, only an addict could think like that!!!! It explains everything.
No wonder he's my favorite writer.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Why do they feel that they have to lie about so many things? stupid little stuff that there wouldnt be any reason for me to get upset about.
To cover their drinking.

The Wal Mart was probably near a liquor store. Or he stopped on the way there and/or on the way back a bought booze. Maybe he bought booze there too.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The ancient question that I've heard so often:
How can you tell an alcoholic is lying?
They're talking.

I don't speak to AH unless it's about superficial things - weather, current events, what's on t.v. this evening. I don't inquire about his job, his finances (which he's manipulating like mad presently in an effort to "control" me), or his thoughts. Why? Because I doubt I'd get any accurate information. When he told me several lies back in late February, they weren't even lies - they were entire STORIES that he cooked up. Funny, his brain is fried, but he can still weave quite a "fable."

At that point, I've cut my losses, emotionally-speaking. I don't listen to his babbling and he pretty much ignores me. After all, I ain't dancin' with him any longer.

I think the lying initially protects their addiction and fuels their denial mechanism. After that, it becomes second-nature to just do it. Yes, they manipulate brilliantly ... but observe what they do when you don't allow them to manipulate you.

I was fascinated with how he pretty much cut me out of his life. I come and go as I please, he doesn't ask where I go, what I do, or with whom I do it. Fine by me. I guess he sits around lying to his dog now ... nobody else is listening to him!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe they sometimes lie because they honestly don't remember the truth.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glass Prisoner, after all these years I am so naive...I never would have thought of that...about Wal-Mart selling booze or being near a liquor store.
Once again, I shake my head.
Proves to me if I hadn't gotten out of it, I would still be buying it.
DUMB_DUMB_DUMB_DUMB
Old 06-27-2007, 07:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh! I am so naive....that was over a year ago and in all that time I never thought about the fact that he might have bought booze at Wal Mart! He wouldn't normally buy it there for fear someone at work might see him. But, come to think of it, that Wal Mart is a 24-hour, so it could have been at 4 am. Hilarious!

My all time favorite lie happened to my mom. She had a handyman/boyfriend that was doing work on her house. Whenever she would pay him (cash of course) he would tell her the money was stolen, so she would give him more. The lie kept progressing until finally he had her believing rats were opening the freezer (where she hid the money so the "burglars" wouldn't find it) and taking the money to make nests out of it. He was really using it to buy meth....We still tease her about it because it's just too darn funny. And this is a woman 10 hours short of a PhD. That's what I mean when I say it's crazy what we codies will believe!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

A mutual friend of my AW ran into her recently inadvertently. She boasted to him about her position as MANAGER at a popular micro-brewery restaurant. The thing she didn't realize is that he is a videographer and was actively filming promotional footage at that very same micro-brewery. The owner is a personal friend of his to boot.
He told me the story and how amazing it was to hear my wifes absolute fabrication. He thought it bordered on delusional.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

AskingWhy;

I suffered as you do now.

One of the great things I learned was to swallow my pride is FAR better that it swallowing me.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

THis one deals with potential cheating though. That's why there was an ultimatum issued by me, and I do indeed intend to stand by it.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Stephen King actually went to many AA meetings with my brother in FL. and yes very "whacked" individual-my brother has confirmed that! But yes a great writer!
I have found most A's are very talented! More than they know themselves!

Very interesting article-
James Frey-"A Million Little Pieces"
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...amesfrey1.html

I believe this is the article Denny is talking about? Very interesting article!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1155752,00.html

This paragraph says it quite well...

Substance abusers lie about everything, and usually do an awesome job of it. I once knew a cokehead who convinced his girlfriend the smell of freebase was mold in the plastic shower curtain of their apartment's bathroom. She believed him, he said, for five years (although he was probably lying about that, it was probably only three). A recovering alcoholic friend of mine reminisces about how he convinced his first wife that raccoons were stealing their home brew. When she discovered the truth, she divorced him. Go to one of those church-basement meetings where they drink coffee and talk about the Twelve Steps and you can hear similar stories on any night, and that's why the founders of this group emphasized complete honesty — not just in ''420 of 432 pages,'' as James Frey claimed during his Larry King interview, but in all of it: what happened, what changed, what it's like now. Yeah, stewbums and stoners lie about the big stuff, like how much and how often, but they also lie about the small things. Mostly just to stay in practice. Ask an active alcoholic what time it is, and 9 times out of 10 he'll lie to you. And if his girlfriend killed herself by slashing her wrists (always assuming there was a girlfriend), he may say she hung herself, instead. Why? Basically, to stay in training. It's the Liar's Disease."

And not to laugh but Glass too funny about the Wal mart! My brother use to go to Wal mart all the time down the street on his bike! Hmmm Florida.....figure that one out! My brother was NEVER a shopper but boy did he love that Super Wal Mart!

And the block buster (next door liquor store)-My mom actually went in there one day and the guy said oh "Hi"she was like WHAAAAAAAAAAAT? How does this guy know me? Without her asking he said oh I know your son I see you drop him off every now and again-he is a good customer of mine! HA! OOPS!

My brothers response: I go in there for cigarettes! (Imagine that!)

(((ASKINGWHY)))) Blessings to you!
Old 06-29-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I think it more coincidence that some alcoholics are talented rather than relational.
As addiction is democratic and affects every stratus of society of course there will be talented, educated, etc etc etc. people affected.

You will have no problem finding alcoholic untalented morons either.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I use to have an old boyfriend that loved to take our dog for a walk a couple of times a night. He would go the local liquor store, buy a 40 ounce foster lager, and chug it outside our house. I didn't find out until my neighbor asked me about his strange behavior. He was SUPPOSE to be sober for six months. haha.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I was talking lying last night with some other recovering A's.

Lying becomes a sickness as much as the addictions, it becomes a power trip a control thing where they are controlling and manipulating you and everything around them through their lies. My ex lied about EVERYTHING. It wasn't to hurt me it was to control the situation and get his own way.

Beware.

Earthworm