The Problem with Little Rebellions

Old 05-17-2003, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Problem with Little Rebellions

Little Rebellions. Little tension releasers. Small turnovers that distract, amuse... change for the sake of change. Useful and day saving sometimes. A little rebellion might be having cream and sugar in your coffee when you usually drink it black. Or buying neon colored index cards when you know white is more dignified. Or putting a tigerstripe fur steering wheel cover in your '88 Lincoln just 'cause you like it and not even caring that it puzzles people that you don't LOOK like a pimp(?).

Dino will be away until Monday. I'm doing a little dance. We've had no explosions here, but not exactly ease, either. Thought I would enhance the dance with a Little Rebellion. Only once in ancient history did Dino say "Don't cut your hair" which he very quickly amended to "I mean... unless you want to. Cut your hair if you want to." If he hadn't made that amendment, I would probably have shaved my head. However, I didn't cut my hair. And every time I've thought about it since, I've remembered and laughed and left it alone. Today I had the scissors in my hand. "Ha Haaaah! I shall truncate my tresses!" I cry. "No one is here to raise an eyebrow!" So I'm standing in front of the mirror, and all of a sudden my eyebrow shoots up to my hairline. Stop. I'm tall, I have a big face and I look ridiculous with short hair. Sigh. So that's not a very good Little Rebellion and I've given it up. Maybe I can find some barrettes that look like hippopotamuses or something. Or wear my bedroom slippers to Walmart.

In the mood for a Little Rebellion? What small self-tyranny will you overthrow today?

Happy Saturday!
Old 05-17-2003, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I like your wittyness, thanks for a laugh. I am not all that familiar with little rebellions, not that I am aware of although if I look deep enough I think I have practiced it without knowing.

Still learning,

Alice
Old 05-17-2003, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

LOL - Smoke if I see a tall lady in Walmart wearing her slippers, I'm gonna give her a hug, knowing it's YOU. .

It's time for some fun around here, so I am thinking of what I can add to this rebellion (a dangerous thought).

I am going out to buy a spring/summer purse today, and instead of my standard practical organized purse complete with cell phone holder - I am going to buy a BIG bag, maybe with animal prints or something on it, and let that represents that this conservative middle-age chickie has come out of her shell.

And maybe some sandals that match.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Well, I just had a little rebellion.....lol I ate a very low calorie salad with a pink lemonade, crystal lite and then I topped it off with a chocolate AND vanilla cupcake.....lol How do you like that.......... Not to mention all that I just bought at the department store, I haven't splurged like that in months.....I would call that a big rebellion......or perhaps a big mistake

Let me think about what other rebellious things I can do today.........this could get interesting

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 05-17-2003, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

And when I am done buying my bag - I'm going for a Dairy Queen Banana Split - thank's Barbiedeb, you got me inspired .

I can work the calories off planting my garden this weekend.

Rebellion? You want rebellion? Well I can tell you there will be a few raised eyebrows when I sashay into Dairy Queen sporting my Leopard bag and sandals.:saywhat?:
Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Ann...

You're not gonna believe this but I have some leopard slippers.

I like the food rebellion idea. I'm having pecan pie for lunch.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I found the bag!!!! It's big and it has a big leopard on the side...Purrrfect!!! It's more of a bag than a purse, but I gotta do what I gotta do for this rebellion.

But no matching sandals. Maybe I can borrow your slippers, Smoke. Bunny Slippers just don't go with leopard.:shades:
Old 05-17-2003, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whaddya mean they don't go? I expect, if Dino saw you he would say what he says to me when I am taking a fashion risk. "There aren't too many people who could carry that off." But the slippers are all yours if you want 'em. Um... besides being tall, I have big feet. You might have to put some kleenex in the toes. OR... in the spirit of Little Rebellion you could use the extra room to hide something like... oh... I dunno... ping pong balls. Nobody will know you have ping pong balls in your slippers but you. Little Secrets are Little Rebellions. What'rya gonna hide in that big ol' snazzy purse?
Old 05-17-2003, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Maybe my cat - how cool would THAT be, a leopard bag with a cat peeking out the top.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

LOL

Smoke, I didn't put the scissors down,
and I whacked my bangs-I mean whacked!
Yes, I am 47 years old with bangs. I
am so glad I didn't proceed to the rest
of my hair. I get these weird scissor
happy urges, (never mind my hair is still
recovering from the melting job.)
I also found this rinse to cover the gray,
the kind that washes right out. But nobody
has noticed my hair is a different color,
I just keep getting these little comments,
"uh, cut your bangs?" Boy, howdy.
I crack myself up.

Hugs,
Old 05-17-2003, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What's wrong with being 47 with bangs? The things that are happening on my 43 year old forehead these days make me think sometimes that bangs might be a way to go. LOL But to really do the trick they'd have to come down to my chin. Then I'd wear my glasses over the top and look like Cousin It.

Possible responses to "Cut your bangs?"

1) Nope, I washed my hair and it shrunk.
2) Yep. Want me to do yours?
3) Bangs? Thank Goodness. I thought there was a millipede on my forehead.
4) Sort of. Don't bend over the Cuisinart.

Big hugs!
Old 05-17-2003, 01:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

LMAO,

I think I'll just write those answers down.
Ann, I really hope you find the shoes
to match, leopard slippers would be classic.
I've got it all pictured.

Hugs,
Old 05-17-2003, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rebellion?

Did someone say rebellion? Ah, this I am good at. Ask any nun at my Catholic high school. "Rebel" is my middle name. I commit little rebellions every day, it's part of my make-up.
Pie for lunch? Perfectly acceptable in my book. Pizza for breakfast is acceptable as well. And I bought some totally junky frozen Krystal burgers at the store today.
I'm pretty tame and subdued when it comes to clothes. My tiara is the most daring thing I've done lately and that is only worn in the confines of my home. I do have some pretty obnoxious summer pajamas however. They have these little cartoonish characters all over them. I got them because the fabric is so comfortable (jersey, feels just like a soft t-shirt).
Word to Smoke: Being a writer, I just fell in love with the phrase "truncate my tresses". My hair is another area where I don't rebel. I've had the same hairstyle for...well forever. And yes, it includes bangs. And lots of layers. I would fit in very nicely at an '80's party.
Hmm...I think I need to buy some pie tomorrow, and some ice cream to go with it.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-17-2003, 02:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

I have decided to go a bit further with the food rebellion thing......I am having coffee and brownies for dinner!! And since I am into this rebellion thing, I also didn't answer the door when the neighbor knocked, he can wait to talk to me another time, so there!! lol

This feels pretty good.......
Old 05-17-2003, 02:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have spent half my life rebelling and the other half recovering from it. I think I forgot how, cause I can't think of anything. LOL
Old 05-17-2003, 02:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oops, couldn't wait

Just got back from the store with pie and ice cream. I also rented "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Steel Magnolias". The pie is in the oven. Y'all come on over, hear?
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-17-2003, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey Gabe, if my car ran better I would be over in a flash (not sure how far we are from each other...lol)and bring the brownies. We all could have a sugar fest.....lol I haven't rented a movie in a long time but perhaps there will be something real good on the tube I will let you know. Don't forget to put on the tiara unless its on already

Steph, you could think of something, don't you think. Something small, a little treat you wouldn't normally have

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 05-17-2003, 03:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What kind of pie are we having? I like pie for two meals a day. I'll make coffee.

Don't worry Debbie. Steph can think of something... she's just being rebellious.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alright, I don't know if this is rebellious or not but the only time we go out to dinner, when it's not the pizza place, is anniversary or something and we never take the kids. My other half always wants to go out to dinner but he's extremely irresponsible and I'm extremely responsible so I always say no.

Well, I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner and it is Saturday night Sooooooooooooooo we're going out to dinner and I might even have desert. Of course we could always go to Gabes for pie and Icecream. You realize we do live around the corner from eachother, soooooooooo expect us at about 9.

You're in GT, I'm in RV, and we're going to dinner in GB

Before you freak out it's Searching, I'm just using my name....I'm not a stalker or anything. LOL

Rebell away!!!!!
Old 05-17-2003, 05:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've got apple pie and

French vanilla ice cream. It was supposed to be Marie Callender's razzleberry pie, but I went to the wrong store. No problem, because the apple is quite good. Feel free to bring brownies, more pie or whatever else makes you feel rebellious and daring. Ann, I will not let you in the door unless you wear your bunny slippers. Smoke, I have fresh ground hazelnut coffee just ready to be made.
Stephanie, the next time you go out to dinner, make sure you go to "The Rustic Oven" in GT. It is the best Italian restaurant I have ever been to. I promise that you will not be disappointed.
I'm getting ready to watch "Steel Magnolias". Y'all come, hear?
Peace,
Gabe