Creating a Special Place Just for Me

Old 06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Creating a Special Place Just for Me

Today was one of those rare, picture-perfect Washington Metropolitan Area days. Sunny and warm, crystal-clear skys, a gentle breeze blowing, not a bit of humidity in the air, and butterflies flitting here and there taking in the bounty of my garden. It was a perfect day to spend the day outside and create a special place just for me--a place where I can spend summer mornings enjoying a steamy cup of coffee, summer afternoons reading a wonderful novel, or summer evenings gazing at the stars in quiet reflection.

I've spent the last three years of my life slowly dying inside as I've watched Richard succumb to the disease of alcoholism. This morning, I was reminded of a quote from a favorite movie of mine, the Shawshank Redemption: "It's time to get busy living, or get busy dying." Richard is finally free of the pain of alcoholism and I've decided it's time to finally free myself, too.

This morning I decided that it's time to get busy living. Not just existing, but living, and living well. So, with a few hours of labor and twenty cans of spray paint in an array of bright colors, I create a little paradise all my own on my front porch. I can't wait to enjoy my morning coffee there tomorrow.

I'm pleased with the results of my efforts. My special place is truly a reflection of me. It welcomes me home to a place where I'm free to be me--an artist who walks to the beat of a different drummer, who loves to surround herself with the colors of the spectrum, and refuses to live life in a beige world.

Thought I'd share a few pics with you. Hope you enjoy them and that this posting inspires some of you to create special places for yourselves.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/...8m_a0ecbcf.jpg

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/...2m_6bef7e0.jpg

http://img31.picoodle.com/img/img31/...4m_3631f78.jpg

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/...1m_a30237a.jpg
Old 06-23-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it!!!

One day you and I will be sitting in those chairs haveing a good old chinwag, hon.

Well done you - it all looks beautiful.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I can picture you there now. Two colorful ladies having some colorful conversations on my colorful porch. You're welcome any time, Minnie.

Prodigal will be joining me there this coming August. Can't wait to meet her.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very nice FD, very, very nice. I like how you carry the colors amongst all the accents. The green of the planter is in the throw rug, the blue is in the window shutters. Every item carries the other and it is all unified.

I especially like that you chose _bright_, happy and joyous colors. Like the colors of a butterfly You're right, it's time for you to open up those wings and fly, this is a wonderful way to start.

Mike
Old 06-23-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress....

OH I love it!! The colors are just gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

One of the first things I did after my ex moved out was ditch everything in the master bathroom (formerly HIS, now MINE) in exchange for new stuff that I liked in pinks and greens. All he ever wanted in the house was beige...how utterly boring!!

I got a couple of new rugs for the den and kitchen and new placemats. Not much, but it certainly made me feel better!

(((HUGS))))
Old 06-23-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i absolutely love those colors! they're so happy and full of life - i'm so happy that you have this place to call your own.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OMG,,FD,,its absolutely Beautiful,,the colors of the rainbow,,,so much "spirits" in those,,,,

I did something similar to today, though I'll spare you all the pictures,,,lol. Packed all day and the house looks "empty' but in it I see the colors of my future,,,

It's a good thing huh?

Quiet simple exhaustion too. Self fullfillment. Howda think right?!?!??!!?

I loved my day, looks like you did too,,,,

Peace
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I love your spectaculor porch. I am in Princeton NJ this week and I was just commenting how I love the old houses here because they all have porches; unlike the homes in CA . Your home looks inviting and looks like a wonderful person lives there. I'd love to have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with you on that porch.
What curb appeal. May your life be as beautiful as your porch reflects.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Enjoy your special place and coffee tomorrow! I"ll be thinking of you while on my balcony. Not many porches here in AZ, either.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FD, wait until you get aload of my wardrobe!!! Cynay knows very well my love for Caribbean/"Parrot Head" attire. I have a rather extensive collection of tropical tops, but they're not nearly as colorful as your front porch.

I love what you did with the colors - just like a beach in the tropics. Really lovely!
Old 06-23-2007, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gorgeous!! And you have given me some ideas about how to get a new look done fast....spray paint!!!!!

There's a calendar called, I think, "Out on the Porch". Your porch should be in there! Enjoy!!!

ARL
Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ooooh, I love it!!! What a beautiful place. Can I come over? Hee hee....
Old 06-23-2007, 08:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

absolutely beautiful!!! love love love the colors
Old 06-23-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
full of hope

WOW! I love it, FD!! Looks like a great place to relax and "get busy living!"

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking a look and for stopping by (albeit virtually). If you ever find yourself in the Washington, DC, metro area, drop me a note and we'll sit down for a bit and enjoy some coffee and good conversation. One of the bonuses of having a properly decked out wrap-around porch is that they invite neighbors, who normally would just pass by, to stop in for a chat.

I also noticed that as I tended to my front porch this morning, other neighbors followed suit and gave their porches a proper cleaning. You should have seen my neighbors slow down in their cars for a peak as I lined up all the colorful, newly sprayed furniture and accessories in the grass to dry.

They were either thinking, "wow, how fun is that," or "oh my, isn't she eccentric." And they'd be right on both accounts.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Gosh how wonderful your ideas flowing out all over your porch
Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

FD I cant tell you how glad I am to see you deciding to get busy living...

I would never have thought to put things together like that... amazing. Yep Prodical has quit the colorful shirt collection... but it definately works for her... I feel drab standing next to her
Old 06-24-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

very, very nice!!! looks very inviting and happy, fd. i don't know why, but with each picture i pulled up, i was expecting to see green paw prints painted onto your porch floor leading into the front door.

lovely work jill. and you are still in my prayers everyday.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing. Please come to my home. I have no decorating taste; I need help.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile Hi FD,

I hope you're enjoying the java this morning on your kicked-up porch...Very nice....I feel there is a little seaside theme going on? Maybe Rehobeth Beach, Bethany Beach or O.C. I'm betting ..........You are a Bethany Beach girl...
I hope you enjoy yet another beautiful day .......

Work Hard and Enjoy Life....Ned