Creating a Special Place Just for Me

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like your pics. Good for you!

Earthworm

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
Today was one of those rare, picture-perfect Washington Metropolitan Area days. Sunny and warm, crystal-clear skys, a gentle breeze blowing, not a bit of humidity in the air, and butterflies flitting here and there taking in the bounty of my garden. It was a perfect day to spend the day outside and create a special place just for me--a place where I can spend summer mornings enjoying a steamy cup of coffee, summer afternoons reading a wonderful novel, or summer evenings gazing at the stars in quiet reflection.

I've spent the last three years of my life slowly dying inside as I've watched Richard succumb to the disease of alcoholism. This morning, I was reminded of a quote from a favorite movie of mine, the Shawshank Redemption: "It's time to get busy living, or get busy dying." Richard is finally free of the pain of alcoholism and I've decided it's time to finally free myself, too.

This morning I decided that it's time to get busy living. Not just existing, but living, and living well. So, with a few hours of labor and twenty cans of spray paint in an array of bright colors, I create a little paradise all my own on my front porch. I can't wait to enjoy my morning coffee there tomorrow.

I'm pleased with the results of my efforts. My special place is truly a reflection of me. It welcomes me home to a place where I'm free to be me--an artist who walks to the beat of a different drummer, who loves to surround herself with the colors of the spectrum, and refuses to live life in a beige world.

Thought I'd share a few pics with you. Hope you enjoy them and that this posting inspires some of you to create special places for yourselves.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/...8m_a0ecbcf.jpg

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/...2m_6bef7e0.jpg

http://img31.picoodle.com/img/img31/...4m_3631f78.jpg

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/...1m_a30237a.jpg
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

FD, it's beautiful! Will be interested in hearing how you enjoy it. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Thinking of you~
ghm
Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Beautiful! Glad you shared your pictures and your thoughts! Hope you have many an enjoyable hour out there; don't see how you could not!

(((FD)))
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

What fun!! Thank you for sharing your pictures!! I love it!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Enjoy your little piece of paradise..........
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Well done, BBQBoy. I AM a Rehobeth beach gal. My parents owned a beach house there for many years. My mom just sold it a few months ago. Couldn't bear to return there without my father, who passed away a little over a year ago. It was their special hide-away. They spent all the summers of their retirement there. And of course we kids joined them as often as we could.

You pegged me on the beach theme, and the particular beach. But did you suspect that my entire home sports a beach theme--inside and out? And if you think my porch is colorful, just step inside. You ain't seen nothin' yet. Perhaps I'll grab the camera and share some photos of the inside, too.

You don't have to live by the shore to live in a beach cottage.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

GORGEOUS FD!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear you are enjoying life!!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm really looking forward to this! I spent a lot of time in Rehoboth - my cousin lives two miles up the road in Lewes. O.C. was okay when I was in my teens and early 20's - PARTY TIME!!! But Rehoboth still has that small-town beach feel to it. I hope you don't mind my bringing along Buffett's "Bars, Beaches, Boats, and Ballads."

Rehoboth ... who can ever forget taking home a box of salt water taffey from Dolle's or the original Grotto's Pizza???
Old 06-24-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Beautiful, just beautiful. Makes a person happy to look at it!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It does have a small-town feeling, especially in the off-season. That's what drew my parents there in the first place. Ocean City is where the youngin's go to party. Rehobath is where families go to enjoy the simple pleasures of the shore: sun, surf, sand, taffy from Dollie's, and pizza from Grotto's Pizza.

After a hot shower, guests at my home can expect to wrap themselves in aqua-colored towles embroidered with the words "sun," "surf," "sand," and "sea." And since you're a fan of Jimmy Buffet, you'll probably appreciate my Jimmy Buffet room. It's a tropical paradise with hot pink walls and touches of lemon yellow, orange, and lime. The "canopy" over the bed consists of a beach umbrella suspended in a bucket of sand with paper party lights threaded through the spokes for use as reading lights.

There's a pair of brand new hot pink flip flops next to your bed instead of slippers. So bring your most colorful t-shirts and your Jimmy Buffet music and you'll fit right in. Of course for more subdued and conservative guests, I do offer a toned down room in soft hues of aqua--the colors of the sea.

Maybe I should post a few more pics....
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your post and pics. It made me smile from deep down in my soul. Beautiful job.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Smile Good Morning FD,

I,m glad you have such fond memories of the beach. I also have a "beach" state of mind (lost it for a while, but it is back)... I spent every childhood vacation there, worked my way through college (Salisbury) while working at Phillips Crabhouse (O.C.), every month we would take a day trip to Rehobeth to get away from the "hustle" of OC. My children are now enjoying that freedom of the beach feeling.

Those memories & that "Beach" state of mind has helped me immensely during my battles.... Sometimes I forget the simple things ie., walking on cold sand at night, salt water taffy, digging for sand crabs(i still do that lol) & just doing absolutely nothing.....I just need to keep those memories in the forefront these days and it does help......The "Beach" is anywhere you want it to be...Right?

More pics please..................they are very good quality by the way!!!!

Work Hard and Enjoy Life......Ned
Old 06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'll post more photos this weekend, when I have better lighting. It's dark by the time I get home from work. I'd rather use daylight than artificial lighting for maximum color vibrancy.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's way cool !!!! I'm kind of jealous.

Being a typical guy, if I tried that, my porch would be all chrome & black leather......
Old 06-26-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

BBQBoy & FD - Beach lovers - YEAHHHHHHH!!!!!! Give me some sand, the sound of pounding surf, some good Maryland blue crabs smothered in Old Bay and a pitcher of beer (gotta have beer with crabs - nothing else works!) and I'm in heaven! I almost married a guy from Salisbury - he attend U of MD w/me during the Paleolithic Era.

I am so anxious to see more photos, FD - you're taste in decorating sounds fantastic to me. So joyful and full of life - what a mood lifter! All you need now to complete the "Buffet decor" is a tire swing!

What has kept me going in this desert town in the middle of nowhere these past two years are the thoughts I drift back to of my beloved home when I'm in a funk. Sitting on Kent Narrows watching the boats, remembering my college days when we'd dance and drink until 4 a.m. at the Rusty Scupper in Bethany, standing at the top of Duke of Glocester and Main Streets in Annapolis, looking over towards Kent Island. I even dream about this stuff - honest!

Hey, BBQ - Have you ever gone to Captain Harvey's by the auto plant on Bruning Highway to get one of their COLOSSAL steak-and-cheese subs??? An obscene amount of fat and grease heaped on a monster hoagie - YUM!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

A tire swing would be awesome. There's only one problem though--I only have two trees in my yard and they're way too small to support a tire swing. Maybe in, say, 10 years or so....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Glass:

A porch done up in chrome and leather would be absolutely fabulous. I can picture it in my mind's eye. The possibilities are endless. Why not try your hands at it and then share your results?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Why not try your hands at it and then share your results
Well, first I need a porch....

I still think your's is awseome though. I sometimes miss that "womans touch" around the home. My aparment is ........functional....you know, function before form. Well, that and cost.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

FD what a wonderful way to express life! The colors are vibrant yet so soothing-I was wondering where the paw prints where? He He

Great job! I love a nice porch to sit and feel the breeze while sipping coffee!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
. Well, that and cost.
Whoa! Watch Design Remix. They're a big fan of what FD's done so beautifully - working with paint to make a change.