Went to 1st meeting tonight

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to 1st meeting tonight

Something wasn't feeling right with me tonight so I decided I would drive to a meeting. There was a newcomer part first, then the meeting.
There were over 40 people and I really felt like that was where I needed to be tonight. The meeting format changes every week (speaker, steps, traditions, etc.)
Tonight was a tradition reading and discussion. Also, people were very welcoming and shared a little about their story.

I had been avoiding going because I'm still grieving the loss of relationship, house, etc. By going though, maybe this is exactly what I needed right now. I have to move through these emotions. Some days I'm great, then it hits me all over again.
Just reading and trying to be strong alone wasn't working.

One woman said her A started to recover only after she worked on herself. I still have hope for that.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

I'm so happy for you! I hope you go to more. I love mine. Mr C turned me on to the one I go to.

Kermmie
Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks! I figured even if I sat in my car and didn't go in, that was progress.
I'd see the sunset nonetheless!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YAY!!!!! Good for you! Glad you liked it! I like the boards, but I feel like I really get a super good dose of mental health by doing a f2f meeting.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Once I started volunteering to share in mtgs. and lead mtgs. I really got a lot from them. It really helps me be a better listener, learn from the collective wisdom and get in touch with my feelings. It is also a place to talk to people who really understand.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Went to the 2nd one tonight. It was a different place, smaller group of people, and now I really like both meetings. This one's format is reading from the Courage to Change and the One Day at a Time Alanon book.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Most of us have a "home mtg" that is our regular where we really get to know the members We volunteer to take service positions and are invested. Hopefully of these two mtgs you will want to make one your home mtg. It takes a while to feel comfortable and really an integral part. But when you do, growth occurs.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks! I really liked the format tonight. It's almost like a little study group and for me that's perfect! Reading, internalizing the messages, and sharing those insights are empowering. I guess I just needed to be face to face with people who get it!!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so glad you went!

And would you believe it if I told you that it was a week ago this week that I went to a meeting in Phoenix with Cynay and Minx?!! What a coincidence. I think it was on a Tuesday, though. It was great and there's some brilliant recovery goes on in your neck of the woods, I know.

I don't go to meetings anymore, though perhaps I would if I had more choice. I know that I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't got face to face support and I am forever grateful that it was available to me. SR is amazing, but my biggest leaps in growth came from listening and sharing irl. I did try and carry that to SR by posting on the meeting topics when I got back, but that died a death when I stopped going. Maybe you (or others) would like to do the same sometimes?