Not sure how to get help

Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to get help

I am very new to this and I was just wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me. So I know my brother had experimented with some drugs although I didnt know the depth until lately. My cousin has been using drugs for a long time and now he is confiding in my brother and using him so he has someone to do it with because of the seclusion from his other family members. Now I am to believe that my brother is into it bad. so my question is when is it the time to get professional help and anyone know where i can find it is canada?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR.
When I found out my son had a serious problem, I too was thinking of what program or what counseling would help him to stop. I went to a counselor for this very reason.I learned that his recovery was up to him and not me to fiqure out.
In Alanon meetings we talk about the 3' C's of alcoholism : I didn't Cause it, I can't Cure it and I can't Control it. There is a 4th C too...I can Contribute. The contribute part can go both ways- I can learn to properly contribute to my own (and his) recovery or I can continue to do things that are counterproductive and harmful to myself.
What I learned too, was that it has to be the choice of the addict/alcoholic to get help, and my efforts to help my son get help- in order to fix things, where in vain.
I'm glad you are here and posting, please continue to do that and I also hope you will read the 'stickys' threads at the top of the page, and keep reading as many other threads here. Soon you will see how it is for other here in the same situation. We all share and gathter strength from one another.
I highly recommend you attend at least 6 Alanon meetings.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but in the US people can be as sick as they want to be and you can't force anyone to get help (unless they pose a threat to themselves or others, or they are court-ordered due to some DUI or something like that) The only thing you can do is to got to someplace like Al-anon, talk with an addiction counselor, or find a treatment center. The latter two will most likely refer you back to al-anon (maybe solely or in addition to any counseling services they offer) to get the tools that you need to make sure that you aren't unwittingly enabling (even when you try to help...sometimes it can be enabling...even if you are "being tough") and to also be able to love them despite their sickness, and to keep yourself well. It's nice to be in a group and know that you aren't alone so I highly do recommend al-anon. Addiction has a way of making others not well, the suffering can become even worse for the loved ones of the addict than it is for the addict themselves.