Withdrawl ???'s

Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
So sick of Love songs

Question Withdrawl ???'s

I was reading NEG thread on seizures & it got me thinking........

What type of withdrawls/symptoms does the alcoholic experience when they stop drinking - cold turkey?
My AH stopped cold turkey (won't last long) but I noticed that he is very shaky, he struggles to grasp an item or open a coke can. How much shaking is too much? He also sleeps all the time and I have noticed that he is experiencing alot of sleep apnea. He snores like a freight train then suddenly stops for a full minute then gasps for a breath. Is this normal for an alcoholic?

What are you to look for when the alcoholic has had too much alcohol? Will they always have a seizure? I know you can die from alcohol but how do you know they had too much and their life is in danger? At what point do you get them medical treatment?

I think that I can be too detached at times and I would hate for me to be really detached one night (ignore his drunk state) and something happen that I could have done something about.

Thanks
Sage
Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by un4gvn acts View Post
I was reading NEG thread on seizures & it got me thinking........

What type of withdrawls/symptoms does the alcoholic experience when they stop drinking - cold turkey?
================================================== =========

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My AH stopped cold turkey (won't last long) but I noticed that he is very shaky, he struggles to grasp an item or open a coke can. How much shaking is too much? He also sleeps all the time and I have noticed that he is experiencing alot of sleep apnea. He snores like a freight train then suddenly stops for a full minute then gasps for a breath. Is this normal for an alcoholic?

What are you to look for when the alcoholic has had too much alcohol? Will they always have a seizure? I know you can die from alcohol but how do you know they had too much and their life is in danger? At what point do you get them medical treatment?

I think that I can be too detached at times and I would hate for me to be really detached one night (ignore his drunk state) and something happen that I could have done something about.

Thanks
Sage

All the things you describe plus more up to delerium, seizures, and even cardiovascular collapse. Coexisting medical problems can compound withdrawal; hypertension, heart problems, etc etc.
He should absolutely see a physician experienced in treating alcoholism medically, meaning not a psychiatrist that deals with emotional issues in recovery, but someone that actively cares for chemical detoxing alcoholics.
Although no doubt others have quit successfully cold turkey you cannot predict his result based on that of others. No doubt many trying cold turkey had to be taken by ambulance to an ED. Sleep apnea can be dangerous in of itself. Again he should been seen by a physician experienced in such matters. All the sharing, suggestions, and advice you may glean from these forums cannot substitute medical supervision. A saying I will never forget "the road to heaven is paved with goodwill"........
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband has detoxed medically 5 times. He needed to...to be safe. His last medical detox was in Feb and he stayed sober until 2 weeks ago. He then drank for 8 days and when he self detoxed here at home he said it was the worst yet. He didn't have the shakes this time, but he did have the restlessness, the increased heart rate and his body temp increased/decreased. He didnt think he needed to go to the ER and he did make it through. He felt that because he only drank for 8 days, he didnd't need medical attention. I'd have felt better if he did go, but it was his choice. He knows his body -- been through this before, so I let him do it and I detached. I'd not recommend it for anyone though because it's very hard to watch. They say when an alcoholic relapses they pick up right where they left off and that each detox gets worse; I'll agree with this and sum it up by saying, again, that we were VERY lucky that all went well w/this last detox and that God (our HP) was definitely watching over us.
Hugs,
Eileen
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

I think it depends on what you mean giving up cold turkey. Basically how long would that be for him. From experience my sister binge drinks for 7-8 days and this goes on all day and night. Then she will stop for 2 days because her body is telling he too. She actually cant drink because she is in so much pain and feels so ill. She sweats, shakes, vomits, passes out, has kidney and pancreas pain and her bones and muscle cramp up in pain.
Basically she has been doing this for a long time and still needs that fix so when he is really ready to detox in a centre they will administer the correct medication. I do not believe they can detox at home for too long before relapse. They need to be in professional care at that time to be monitored.
Anything can happen to them - maybe he will have a seizure and may be he wont. The thing is he knows as long as you are there to pick up the pieces and clean up after him, he has nothing to worry about and he will continue. He basically knows that if he needs medical attention someone will be there to call the ambulance.
Think about that.