Seizure

Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seizure

Hi everyone.

My FIL called me a couple of hours ago to tell me that my STBXAH had a major seizure today and is in the hospital now.

AH had been holed up in a hotel room for weeks drinking. His father called me worried about his where abouts, and I encouraged him to fly down there, fetch him, and take him to detox/rehab. FIL went down and got his boy...and was in the process of trying to get him into a facility...they were driving in city traffic when the seizure happened. An ambulance came to the scene.

AH called me from his hospital bed. Sounded annoyed and kind of blasé about the whole thing. I told him I cared so much about him. He wanted to know if we were going to maybe get back together. I said no. But that there will always be a place in my heart for him. And that he needs to get himself help and not let this ruin his whole life. That's how we left it.

I emphatically encouraged his parents to bring him directly to detox/rehab straight out of the emergency room. They sounded like they think it's a good idea. But I know all of this is a lot for them to take in. But they seem to be finally getting the picture.

Wow. What a day.

Our divorce hearing was supposed to be tomorrow. Of course there will now have to be a continuance.

I hope this leads to him getting the help he so desperately needs. Yet I know the statistics are only stacked against him. Only time will tell. It's amazing the love I have in my heart still for this man. sigh.

Thanks for listening
Old 06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

neg, wow is right.

i'm glad it seems as if he's okay, in terms of the seizure anyway. it's stories like yours and FD's that make us all see how precious life is. the love you have for him will probably never go away. it may change shape or method of delivery, but you're always going to have that spot for him in your heart... and i think that's a good thing.

i hope you keep us posted on what happens with his treatment, i'll be thinking about both of you.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You will be in my prayers. Keep us posted.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

((((NEG))))) I can only hope I am not the recipient of one of these calls one day soon...prayers to you and your STBXAH.....
Old 06-12-2007, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((neg))) It's not easy getting that call, but you seem to have it in focus. Take care.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support. It's amazing how dealing with an alcoholic can leave you feeling so alone, even when you're surrounded by friends and family. I am so glad to have you all here who understand.

neg
Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you handled yourself very well! Your recovery and strength shows the most in these difficult situations! ((neg))
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

seizures

My brother was just taken to the emergency room after three seizures. I was trying to research seizures and alcohol poisoning and found this site. I don't know what the seizures mean? Is his body shutting down?
Can anyone tell me what the seizures mean? I am many hours from home so I am getting limited info.

Thanks for your help and listening.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jaxs,
Welcome! It would be best to start a new thread so your questions don't get lost inbetween.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

So sorry to hear about your STBXAH's health problems. I'm praying that it will be the wake-up call that he needs to find a path to recovery and that it won't hold up your divorce hearing for long.

To answer your question, Jaxs, in alcoholics seizures are sometimes caused by alcohol withdrawal. In the later stages of their disease, alcoholics can suffer withdrawal symptoms such as seizures and DTs if they abstain from drinking for even a few hours. Alcoholic seizures are scary to witness and they can lead to strokes and permanent brain damage, as was the case with my boyfriend. Sending prayers up for your brother, too.

Sorry for the hijack, NEG.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i too am praying this is his wake up call. fdt stay strong sweetheart!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Seems there are 2 causes of seizures in alcoholics. One being of course withdrawl seizures, the other possibility is a seizure disorder caused by a head injury, which they are greater prone to. some of them either stop taking the seizure medicine and/or drink, something people with seizure disorders are advised against. It can NEVER be assumed that a drunk person is simply drunk and thus the behavior is explained. They are prone to head injuries, most notably sdh; sub dural bleeds
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

prayers to you today. sorry you had to recieve such hard news. blessings, k
Old 06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

He's still in the hospital. It looks like he might enter a rehab facility upon being released. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The judge granted me a divorce today, despite my AH's absence. His lawyer was there to represent him. It went quick. And it will be final in a few months. Looking forward to getting my name back.

sigh.

I have the Grateful Dead in my head singing: "what a long strange trip it's been"....

you guys know what I mean!

luv,
neg
Old 06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

((((Hugs)))) NE

Glad to hear that it went well for you at court. That should be a relief.

Sending prayers sweets that will be his wake up-we can only hope for them to see the light they need to see before it is too late.

My brother had a seizure while driving his car and went off the highway (In Florida bad state) he is lucky he did not kill anyone and lucky to be alive-he went through detox, rehab and now is in jail for 11 months- (98 days to go) I got a letter yesterday and he sounded wonderful he is working on his 3rd step again for the 3rd time!

Sending you strength and prayers to get through NE! (((Hugs))))
Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

(((((neg)))))))
Old 06-13-2007, 10:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post
((((Hugs)))) NE

Glad to hear that it went well for you at court. That should be a relief.

Sending prayers sweets that will be his wake up-we can only hope for them to see the light they need to see before it is too late.

My brother had a seizure while driving his car and went off the highway (In Florida bad state) he is lucky he did not kill anyone and lucky to be alive-he went through detox, rehab and now is in jail for 11 months- (98 days to go) I got a letter yesterday and he sounded wonderful he is working on his 3rd step again for the 3rd time!

Sending you strength and prayers to get through NE! (((Hugs))))

Talk about hitting bottom, wow. He and your family are very lucky to have thus far a positive outcome out of what could have been a disaster.

Blessings for your family
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for you info. I am new to forums so I'll figure this out!
My Brother was sober for 20 years, had major surgery and pain meds and relapsed. He's starting over on his road to recovery. I am glad I found this site. I've been reading all day as there is lots help here. Saying lots of prayers too!
Old 06-16-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaxs, This board has been my salvation. I feel like I have so many new and wise friends. Keep reading and keep posting. Again, welcome.