Act of Kindess

Old 06-08-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Act of Kindess

Since FD's post today...my heart goes out to her and really just got me thinking of what a amazing woman she is to have endured what she did and all the while took care of herself-and even today-

Act of kindness-

I know that I’m a codie and I know that in my past came buying things, doing things or whatever the case maybe in order to get someone to like me/love me. I do not do this anymore-I have learned that if I’m not liked/loved for who I have become today then the person is not worthy of my love.

I think I can say at least for myself and I’m sure in some way we all have done something for someone with an agenda (Ok A’s we know this of you regardless so just pay attention to the next part)……

What have you done for someone that made YOU feel unbelievable grateful for no other purpose but an Act of Kindness from YOUR heart

I will start…..

There is a woman who lives in my town who is an Addict of both alcohol and drugs. I have watched her over the years as she has bugan to deteriorate from her disease. I see her as she goes into the store a friend of mine owns where I get coffee in the morning. She buys her vodka with her last few bits of change…..as her daughter on several occasions I witnessed her crying because she was not allowed anything in the store. (Daughter (#3 the youngest) 4 years old)

Anyway-I was horrified as I watched her walk down the street in the dead cold of winter again, on several occasions with no coat on her daughter. I went one evening and bought a coat for this poor little girl and handed it to this woman-she smiled and said “how did you know”

It made me feel so good inside and it was the good feeling that I have done something for someone but with no agenda!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What have you done for someone that made YOU feel unbelievable grateful for no other purpose but an Act of Kindness from YOUR heart?
Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

rella, i have been thinking about your thread all day, and nothing specific is coming to my mind about an act of kindness.

lately, though, i have been working towards smiling at more strangers, letting elderly people, or those who have few groceries, go ahead of me in the check-out line, letting drivers into my lane who know their lane is going to end but try to pass as many cars as possible before they merge into mine (a major pet peeve, but working on it!), and just trying to make an act of kindness everything i do for someone else. i will post again if i think of anything else i've done lately!
Old 06-09-2007, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have a town hobo of sorts and he refuses any and all help from strangers but yet we all know that he does need help. One day I saw him walk past me on the sidewalk and I decided that I wanted to give him 20 bucks for food or whatever...so I stepped up my pace behind him and asked him to stop...he did and I held out the money and told him that I saw this fall from his pocket and thought he should know.....he looked at me and was silent for a moment and then said thank you, took the money and I turned around and left.....
Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ahhh....this is one of my hubby and I's agendas for Sundays but the deal from Just For Today is that you keep it a secret LOL

We do these kinds of things alot. Especially on Sundays. We used to go out in a poor country where our only mission was to find people to feed etc.

I can't take any of it with me and nothing feels better than that secret gift.

Sometimes, people cry because they are so touched. It hurts my heart that generosity is so scarce!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I use to work in DC years ago and frequently bought an extra hot dog from a street vendor and gave it to homeless folks I would see. I would give out a lot of cigarettes too.

I even showed this one guy how to slam parking meters, (put time on them with out putting money in them) to teach him a trade! LOL!!! I said, "Hey man, you could do this for everyone that parks in front of this building everyday and start a lucrative business"... He didn't do it.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
full of hope

I found out that our town was having an overflow of teenage pregnancies. Young girls who had no idea what to do with a baby, much less have someone to give them a baby shower.

So I started fixing up care packages with everything a newborn and mom would need. Then I delievered them to the doctor's offices for them to distribute with a note telling them they were loved and special and someone was praying for them.

I never knew who got them all but the doctor's ofcs called for more.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was at a the raised flower bed with a fellow who was wheelchair bound. He is 32. We sat in the shade talking and he watched as I weeded the flower bed. I made a comment about how nice the freshly mown grass smelled. He asked me what it felt like to walk barefooted in the grass. I asked him, "you have never felt grass on your bare feet?" He said no, he had never even sat on the ground.
I went and got some help and we lifted him down on the grass. I proped him up with some pillows to help him maintain his postion and we sat there for a long time. He just smiled the whole time.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
it is what it is...

Not sure about this one but I'll tell you. I work the chiropractic field. The office I previously worked in had a regular who lived on the streets. I must say that he was Native American to tell the story correctly. He always came in reeking of booze. The other girls hated him. He was callouse and mean and a manipulater. I decided he was my buddy. We always got along. I treated him better then the others because I know how the natives normally get treated. My A was one as well. It is sick how predjudice still lives today. Codie??
Anyway, to try to keep it short. He came in one day and started yelling at my new receptionist that we are a bunch of predudice bitches. I mean yelling. My office manager came unglued and started shaking and yelling at him. My receptionist ( a soft spoken little sweetheart) was backed as far away from him as possible, her eyes wide and scared.
I came around the corner and sent him into a room. I followed him into the exam room and sat and talked to him. Told him that I didn't appreciate his attitude and pointed out that we had done our part with his MD and we are not prejudice. I told him my boyfriend was native american and how beautiful I believed thier heritage was. On and one he yelled at me and I kept telling him that I care for him and that I was always good too him. I asked him about his back pain and he started reminiscing. He lost his wife and kids years ago and he used to be a bull rider. I don't know how much was true but I listened. About 45 minutes carried on like this. I finally gave him money for the bus so he could get a ride to the hospital he needed to be to get the care chiropractors can't provide. He cried and held my hand and thanked me and apologized for his behavior.

I called the bus, he went to the stop and waited. I left work about a 1/2 hour later thinking about him. I thought I should go just give him a ride but decided against it.

A week later he was in the newspaper. He and another man had raped a women and he was in jail. I was heartsick.

I am going to have to work on my choice of people to help. After that, I was too afraid. I am drawn to the underdog that bites.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not your fault Bjen! Your kindness is all that counts!

Whatever he did later was nothing to do with you and that is one of the beauties of acts of kindness,,,,,we don't interview them first to see if they are worthy.

We give because we see need.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Self centered ego-maniac that I am, I'm still working on that one. I still can't comprehend anything truly altruistic. Much like I can't comprehend anyone not finishing a drink. To me, every good action has a reward.

That said, all I can do now is little things. Mostly 12 stepping new-comers and helping here on the boards. In the "real-world", I drop change in the cup at the super market entrance, let people into traffic, open doors for people....

One thing I can remember.

In early sobriety, our downstairs neighbors teenage daughter hurt herself pretty badly. Mom wasn't home, and her boyfriend was knocking on my door at 2:30 in the morning. I took them to the hospital. Does that count ?
Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

A few years back, I befriended an elderly couple in my townhome development. They always took the time to stop and say hello when I was out walking my dogs or on my way back from my daily walks.

After the first winter's snowfall, I noticed that everyone had shoveled their walks except for the Checkleys. Obviously they were much too frail to shovel the snow themselves. So I'd wait until late at night, then slip over to their home and I'd shovel their walk--every time it snowed. I never let on who was doing it, even when Mrs. Checkley attributed the midnight shovelings to a police man who lived across the street.

A few years later, Mr. Checkley became terminally ill with melinoma. During his illness, Mrs. Checkley had mentioned to me that she and Mr. Checkley had decided that if he should succumb to his cancer, that--if it was within his power--he'd send her a message from heaven to let her know that he was OK. She told me they agreed that the secret symbol would be something with an angel embossed on it.

Mr. Checkley died soon after. One day as I was browsing around at a local crafts fair, I met a man who liked to emboss symbols on penny, nickels, dimes, and quarters. He just happened to have a symbol of an angel as one of the options you could choose.

I asked him to press the penny flat and emboss an angel on to it. I paid him and slipped it into my pocket. That night as I took my dogs out for their final walk before bedtime, I slipped the penny, angel side facing up, on Mrs. Checkley's front porch so she'd find it when she stepped outside the next morning. She'd never know how it got there, and just maybe she'd believe that it was a penny sent from her beloved husband in heaven.

At first I worried that I might be playing God by giving her this anomymous gift, but then it dawned on me that Mr. Checkley had a found a way to leave her his secret signal after all. I wasn't playing God, just helping God fulfill a dying man's wish.

I'd completely forgotten about this until you started this post. I wish Richard and I had had enough foresight to leave a pre-planned message for each other--a signal that we were OK--upon our passing.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Every December, the U.S. Naval Academy would put up a huge Christmas tree in the foyer of Bancroft Hall (where the midshipmen live on campus). There were tons of tiny straw angels all over the tree. Each one had a slip of paper on it that had a child's age, sex, and gift wish. On Christmas I chose an angel that read: "6 year old female wants a red dress." I went to Annapolis Mall and walked into Bloomingdales and bought the most expensive red dress I could find in the girls' department. It was the type we all dream of when we're little - lots of stiff pettycoats and lace.

I don't know who that child was. But I think about her often and I hope she was very happy on Christmas morning to see that Santa had left her a red velvet dress.

What was even more heartwarming was delivering my wrapped present to Bancroft Hall. There were bicycles, sleds, wagons ... you name it. People really opened their hearts to all these children who had so little.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
Self centered ego-maniac that I am, I'm still working on that one. I still can't comprehend anything truly altruistic. Much like I can't comprehend anyone not finishing a drink. To me, every good action has a reward.

That said, all I can do now is little things. Mostly 12 stepping new-comers and helping here on the boards. In the "real-world", I drop change in the cup at the super market entrance, let people into traffic, open doors for people....

One thing I can remember.

In early sobriety, our downstairs neighbors teenage daughter hurt herself pretty badly. Mom wasn't home, and her boyfriend was knocking on my door at 2:30 in the morning. I took them to the hospital. Does that count ?

Glass-your post and helping here are wonderful "acts of kindness" doing this not only makes us feel good with your words but, I'm sure it helps you feel that wonderful feeling of knowing that you helped someone today! IMHO you are an act of kindness yourself!

Bjen-Not your fault hon- we cannot pick and choose who the person's behavior who we decide to help-what you did is truly an amazing thing!

Thank you all for sharing your amazing stories! Live-that is wonderful feeling on Sundays for you both I'am sure!

Mallowcup-I had a friend who was paralyzed and your story astounded me!

Jazz-You are too funny! Great thing giving out food to those who need it!

Chero, InthisForMe,Janitw,Prodigal such astounding stories-really makes one feel good evening reading about people like all of you! Thank you so much for sharing!!

FD-Truly another amazing storie shared with us-I'm sure the Mrs. felt such warmth when she found that- and I know in my heart of hearts that Richard will leave you a sign! When my husband passed.....I was cleaning out his built in wall unit (at his parents house not our home) and there were all these stuffed animals....I said I'm keeping this one, this one ...blah blah I bought them for him so .....well there was this one unicorn it was white with the red horn sticking our of its head..I said I think so and so bought that one I will just leave it here...I placed it gently way back in the back of the shelf and all of a sudden no way that it could have possible JUMPED approx a foot an half onto the floor-it dropped at my feet as I was turned the other way-I collapsed to my knees and began to cry.....it was my husband letting me know he was ok! (We also had another thing where if it was 11:11, 9:09 etc...you make a wish-he hated that and laughed at me for doing it...one night on our honeymoon mind you after knowing about this and knowing each other 8 years-he made a wish at 10:10 p.m.- and 3 months later he passed away December 1 @ 10:10 pm.

Richard will find a way FD trust me on that honey! ((((Hugs))))

Thank you all for being here at SR and truly being AMAZING people in your own ways and sharing here for all of us to learn. Just giving to each other here on SR your life lessons and experience is an "act of kindness"