I have a question (as usual)

Old 05-12-2003, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

I have a question (as usual)

Hey all,

I have a little question for you all. Most of you know what happened last week (the A taking the car, having an accident, now in the hospital, etc).

Well my insurance might not cover it and for them to cover it, I may have to press charges against him. Its all in the air and I don't know for sure.

Would you be able to do this? I mean really, deep down. I keep thinking I could do it and he even says to do it but I don't really know if I could go through with it.

Just curious to see what others think they would do.

Thanks in advance.
Hugs,
Debbie
Old 05-12-2003, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Debbie - in all honestly - probably not, although I sure would want to. I'm way too soft for my own good.

This must be really hard for you.

(((((Debbie)))))
Old 05-12-2003, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Debbie, I guess this response is

going to border on tough love. What would you suggest to your very best friend who was in the same circumstances? Someone you love and cherish and want only the best for? Think about what you would say to that person, and then do it for yourself.
We Codies constantly put other people and their needs before our needs. It's hard to reverse that. All I can say is think about this situation in terms of what would be the best outcome for YOU. I know those are strange shoes to walk in, but give it a whirl. Hey...you might like what you decide.
Hugs to you.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 05-12-2003, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Debbie,

I don't think I could do it either. I just couldn't. My husband has had a hard time dealing with a past felony conviction and I don't think I could bring myself to add to his legal problems.

Whatever you decide to do, we're here for you.

Lots of hugs,
JG
Old 05-12-2003, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Deb,

It might be less expensive in the long run for him to pay for it out of pocket???
Old 05-12-2003, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Barbiedeb

If charging him makes you feel uncomfortable, then don't do it. That may sound codependent for me to say, but I am talking about how YOU feel, and your feelings matter. You have been in recovery long enough to make a balanced and fair decision on this.

But that doesn't mean that you should absorbe the consequences for his actions. He should pay for the damaged car and the neighbours damage, and if he hasn't the money for that then start selling his stuff. Seriously - and not just the boat!

Only you can decide, but you don't have to take ownership of his disease or the consequences for his actions.

I'm sending more hugs and prayers that your days ahead will be a little brighter.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The bottom line is to do what your GUT tells you to do!

Selling all of his stuff is a given if you need the money to pay!

Take care and best of luck with your decision. Knowing that you have our support no matter what you decide will give you strength through all of these rough times.

Praying for you,
matters
Old 05-13-2003, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

He wouldn't get auto theft. It would probably be joy riding. I'm not sure what the penalty for joy riding is, but I don't think it's much. Call the DA and ask him. Maybe it's just something small. Moving a car out of a driveway to re-park it doesn't sound like a horrible crime to me. I think it would just get dropped. In fact it takes so long you could probably drop the charges later after the insurance pays.

Get some information before you make up your mind.

Hugs,
MG

Old 05-13-2003, 12:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

Deb,

I couldn't do it, I'm just not tough
enough.

Sending you hugs and support!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Hey all,

Thanks I do know ultimately it is my decision and I need to weigh it in my head. It sure is a tough one.

I guess I will just take it one day at a time and see what happens down the road.

Thanks again for all the support.

Hugs,
Debbie

PS I have an appointment this morning so the readings will be a bit late!!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How do I always manage to miss y'all? Barbiedeb posts....everyone responds and then I show up!!!!

I know that this would be a tough decision, but I think that you have gotten some great advice. Ex: Checking to see what the charge would be and the consiquence for it. Always better to make an educated decision....and I really like Gabe's adice about what would you tell someone you love to do?

I would like to say that I am strong enough to press charges and I might be, but you just never know until you are put in that situation.

We are here for you no matter what you decided!

Constant
Old 05-13-2003, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

****{Constant}}}

You are funny. I posted late last night because I really don't think I could do it. Of course I may not need to make that decision because it might not be covered.

I guess I wait and see

Thanks for all the support, it so appreciated!!

Many hugs,
Debbie