Regarding a close friend I'm concerned about.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You asked for advice from anyone who had experience in this type of situation. I'm not taking a crack at you. I firmly believe if you are going to speak to someone about their drinking problem, you shouldn't have a beer in your hand. It doesn't matter if you aren't an alcoholic, he is.
I don't understand your statement. "I would be prepared to stop drinking around him, I would definately also be prepared to be the one who will walk away with him . If he lets me."
Can you explain this statement?
You say you would be prepared to stop drinking around him.
You said you got together and spoke to him about his drinking, then later he approached one of you and said, don't ever bring it up again.
He doesn't seem receptive to a discussion about it.
My thought is to lead by example.
For clarities sake, or maybe because I'm a bit dense, I'm talking about him, not you.
I never said you were an alcoholic. I'm not an alcoholic either.
If someone gives me advice about my husbands drinking. I don't keep saying, but I'm not an alcoholic.
I'm talking about him, his problem, his perspective, his unreceptiveness.
Alcoholism is unsettling, I have no ability to fluff it up.
You didn't say you'd confront him so I'm not sure how your idea would come into motion, what is going to bring you from being prepared to stop drinking around him to not drinking around him? Can you explain? I'm confused.