Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

When they finally decide to go to AA are they on the road to recovery?

When they finally decide to go to AA are they on the road to recovery?

Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

She doesn't drink on days that I come pick her up, it's when I let her drive my car that she stops by the beer store and sometimes buys wine and hides it. I can't drive her in every day because I'd never get enough sleep... It's probably best that she doesn't get her drivers license back because if she does, she may get herself in trouble again with abusing alcohol nearly every day.
This so reminds me of ME Sad. I have tears n my eyes as I type this.

I too was "new" to the relationship with my A, didn't even have time for the "honeymoon" stage of the relationship before his disease CONSUMED it. Your driving her to work, trying to prevent her from getting alcohol. all things I did. Smelling her breath? Wondering what shape she'll come home in if she says she going to get the paper? Seeing the signs of drinking but wanting to believe the words that are being spoken to your face, "I'm not drinking SAD!!!". On the lookout for "signs" she is, slurred speech, unsteadiness on her feet. And god forbide they get home before you do, what kind of shape are you gonna find her in?!?!? NEVER wanting to leave her alone for a minute, unless its at work, cause right now, thats the ONLY time she is sober. YOU get a break.

Am I close?

Your right, only YOU can determine how much longer you can do this. I'm sure that something you ask yourself EVERY day.

I takes our OWN bottom for us to see what the A is doing to us. A progressive disease I have no doubt your A will make that very apparent in due time. Mine simply began abusing me emotionally as a means to the end allowing him to continue to drink. He fully expected, though he would NEVER tell me, that I would finally accept that this was going to be part of our life, and learn to live with it.

Screw that

But then, that's just me

why do you think your here?

Peace
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

It's probably best that she doesn't get her drivers license back because if she does, she may get herself in trouble again with abusing alcohol nearly every day.
The driver's license has nothing to do with her abusing alcohol. SHE has everything to do with her abusing alcohol. With or without a car, she will drink if she wants to. A liquor or convenient store is never too far away.