SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Holiday Weekend (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/124494-holiday-weekend.html)

BeerPolice 05-25-2007 12:53 PM

Holiday Weekend

Well its a holiday weekend. Im not sure how I feel about it. Seems his last episode has quieted him down some. He didnt go to councling this week, and you know what, I could care less. Im going for me. He has to deal with his own stuff. Seems he thinks the counslor doesnt know what she is talking about. Yeah right. Just not what he wants to hear. Hasnt went to a meeting. Has done nothing. Im not saying a word. No sense in it. He is going to do what he is going to do, regardless of what I say or do.

Holiday's (any holiday) was usually the time to really tie a load on.Im still sticking to my boundry of no booze in the house, and if you want to drink then get out of the house. I surely dont want to spend anytime with him if that is what he chooses to do. And if he breaks it. Then Im leaving with DD to a friends house. He can sit by himself and wallow in his own pity potty.

I hope you all enjoy the long weekend Im gonna give it shot. Stay safe and strong!

Spiritual Seeker 05-25-2007 12:57 PM

The big lesson in recovery for me was "to only take my own inventory" and change what I could, "myself" Sounds like you're learning those same lessons. Have a fabulous weekend.

CE Girl 05-25-2007 01:15 PM

Thanks BeerPolice, I was just coming into SR to start a new thread about what everyone was doing this weekend to keep/continue their road to recovery.

For me, its still the challenge of maintaining my boundry. NO CONTACT

So, I'm coming up with a plan. Starting with tonite. I'm going to do a little shopping, have dinner with a friend, go to an al anon meeting (the GOOD news is, theres a TON this weekend :)) .

I live on an island, summer weather here in the northeast, so tomorrows a no brainer,,BEACH, surfing and fishing.

Sunday, I'm gonna jump outta a perfectly good airplane a couple of times. Over the beach, the tourists LOVE it. I especially like watching the little girls withthe gleam in their eye when I take my helmet off and they realize I'm a GIRL. I can almost see them saying with their eyes, "Wow, I WANT to do that!!!"

Monday I'm going to my NEW town and my NEW house to do some cleaningand get it ready for my BIG move next weekend.

Notice there isn't ONE mention of my A in there!!!!

I beleive I'm making progress

Peace

Oh ya, in my spare time, check into SR to post

Happy Memorial Day everyone. Let's make this one DIFFERENT for US

penneypoo 05-25-2007 01:26 PM

Yea, I thought about this on my way to work...holiday weekend. They just aren't fun anymore. Always a reason to drink MORE. This time last year my AH ruined a perfectly good camping trip by howling into the quiet, peaceful night. I couldn't take it, so I left and went home. Fun, huh. Needless to say, we have NO camping plans this summer.

Let's make this one DIFFERENT for US
I like that idea!

CE Girl 05-25-2007 01:32 PM

ya, well heres one for ya Penny Poo. My A and I have not spent 1 holiday together in all the time we've been together. Usually because he had an "episode" and pissed me off right before one, and I would leave him.

Not gonna happen this year

I'm already GONE :)

So, BeerPolice, since camping is outta the question,,,what ARE you doing this weekend? Do "plans" work for you too? Maybe some that don't include your A?

loveRoy 05-25-2007 02:08 PM

Tomorrow I am going to see my Dad. He is 82 and our time together is precious. He is a WWII veteran. Monday is AH's birthday. I will still be sticking to the no contact rule. No contact is much easier when you never hear from them. Never fear I will never be far from my computer. Love to all and thanks for everything.

MsGolightly 05-25-2007 03:39 PM

ugh, i hate weekends, let alone holiday ones!

i've made plans to visit my parents tonight, hang out with new friends i've made tomorrow and sunday, and hopefully clean my apartment and find somewhere to shop on monday! shopping always helps me feel better... especially if it's new shoes, a purse, or jewelry! :)

Donnavol 05-25-2007 04:25 PM

Hey I'm new (to this forum)

Remember the "good old days" when a 3 day weekend was the best? I've been "lurking" on this forum for around two weeks now and I can't believe how SO many of these stories are alike. These alcoholics are not very original, are they? I don't even know what to say now, but I am married to an A*** (are you supposed to do this?) for the past 15 years. He is my second husband and "stepfather " (what a joke!) to my 23 year old twin daughters who are grown and married now. I can relate to everyone here about being a "codie" because I have obviously been doing that and I wish somebody would have kicked me in the *** a long time ago. As for the weekend thing, I am going to spend it with my daughters, their husbands and my parents and I'm going to enjoy every da** minute of it.

My AH (I think that's alcoholic husband) has been through several detoxes, with some being so bad they have had to put him in restraints (even with diapers on). He's also been through the AA programs and everything. His most successful bout with that was recently. He got 8 months total ( if he wasn't lying). He had started going to the gym, eating, and actually looking good. But, he was so into himself, he made me sick. Why is it that when a drunk (and yes, I WILL call him a drunk) sobers up and does better that they think they are SO superior?)

I have recently gotten a new position at work and when I fiinish training the people that took my old position, I will have time to go to a lawyer and finish this. We haven't even been together as a "couple" ( you know what I mean) in at least 2 years. Yes, I am an idiot.

I'm sorry for ranting. I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Donna

HolyQow 05-25-2007 04:40 PM

Please don't ever refer to yourself as an idiot. I look at it this way, information is power, and because I didn't have this power 5 years ago, or even a year ago, it didn't make me an idiot, it made me un-informed.

I too used to dread holidays, and basically every weekend....then I wondered why? He drinks EVERY day...so why should I let him ruin it for me? I thought he would behave BETTER, just because it was a holiday? (haha) Joke was on me, after the tenth or twentieth holiday spent miserable......not any more.

Have a GREAT day!

chero 05-25-2007 04:40 PM

I hate long weekends!!!!!!

They always spill over into 5,6,7 day binges!

CE Girl 05-25-2007 04:44 PM

WELCOME DONNAVOL,,,((((((DONNAVOL)))) pssst,,that means HUGS :)

ANd lurking? Why its amazing how we ALL do that!!! LOL. Actually, I did too, and gained a wealth of knowledge till finally I SPOKE UP!! Haven't stopped since,,,he,he,he

So glad you decided to also.

O got a lot from your post:

I can relate to everyone here about being a "codie" because I have obviously been doing that and I wish somebody would have kicked me in the *** a long time ago.
Does it really MATTER when you get that kick? I for one feel I wished I had known then what I know now, but I don't and I did what I knew best at the time.

Today, I know better

Finally formed some boundry's. Struggling to keep them however, but determined to stay the course

My AH (I think that's alcoholic husband)
Thank you for making me smile with that one,,,:) Girl, you got the lingo down pat!!!! That's what "lurking" get ya right?!?!?! ;)

Why is it that when a drunk (and yes, I WILL call him a drunk) sobers up and does better that they think they are SO superior?)
OMG, RIGHT THOUGH!! There were times I almost wish he was a drunk again!!!! LOL

Me thinks your gonna be a GREAT addition to these boards Donnavol. Thanks for sharing and WELCOME again!!!

Peace

CE Girl 05-25-2007 04:47 PM

PSSSSST,,,Hey SISTA,,,,,,

Originally Posted by chero (Post 1346783)
I hate long weekends!!!!!!

They always spill over into 5,6,7 day binges!

Ummmmm,,,earth to Chero,,it ain't about 3 day weekends are for HIM anymore,,,it's about what 3 day weekends are for YOU.

Get off the "pity pot" girl and start with a PLAN

What's gonna make YOU happy this weekend?

ME? I'm just happy not to be at work :)

Beside, I already TYPED my plan

You know I love ya girl

Peace

Seeking Wisdom 05-25-2007 06:21 PM

Funny ... a few days ago, I was just remembering how I used to hate weekends for many years and counted the moments until Monday morning when my AH went back to work ... but since I have been on my own I have come to cherish every single moment of my weekends. I like them so much I try to squeeze in an extra day off whenever possible...and I started my Memorial weekend today!!!

Welcome Donnavol ...
don't feel bad, I lurked for a year and a half before I posted anything, but I learned sooooo much during that time. Keep coming back.